Saturday, April 30, 2011

More drag, less queen

Will's edible parents






Today, the 29th of April, Will and Kate were married.  By "Will and Kate" I mean Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton (of party supplies).

Today was also the day of the Republican Street Party held in London by this organization: http://www.republic.org.uk/

These anti-Royals came from all over the UK to protest what they see as an outmoded system that must be dismantled.  "Citizen not Subject" was just one of a handful of bumper-sticker phrases I saw emblazoned on t-shirts, mugs, and fliers available at the info. tables set up amid musicians, face-painters, and food stands.  "If I had a quid for every time someone said that to me..." was what M., one of the organizers of the party, told me.  I had said to her seconds earlier, "Yeah, but how could the monarchy be dismantled?"


Not yer queen's tea mug!

By the end of the day, I didn't have the answer to my question.  I did, however, get to see many people come together for a day of relaxed, good fun.


Here are some pictures:
Spiderman in the making


Baby's shirt reads: Stuff the Royal Wedding


This shot gives the expression "Young Republicans" a whole new meaning, thankfully.







No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of your mind here:

Featured Post

Don't judge a Google card by its cover.