Thursday, January 7, 2021

Jan. 6th

'Looks like I picked a bad time to stop drinking' my friend texted me today. I thought, what? I texted back: Aren't we winning in Georgia? She told me to turn on the radio. I went to Twitter instead & what I found there wasn't pretty. Domestic terrorists storming the Capitol. Shots fired. One fatality as of this afternoon. This is what trump meant when he told the Proud Boys to 'stand back and stand by'. Mask-less insurgents swarming to D.C. to wreak havoc. At least they'll be easier to ID by the Feds as they opted not to cover their faces while breaking the law. Morons. 

***

I may have mentioned in a previous post that a dear friend, M., was diagnosed with cancer this past autumn. After multiple recent stays in the hospital, her prognosis is now terminal. M. entered into hospice care last week. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit with her this past Monday. I sat on the sofa a good distance away from M. with mask up. M.'s ability to speak was hampered by her difficulty in breathing. I was told by M.'s sister who was there to help with M.'s care that I should expect to do most of the talking. I chatted up a storm, but would have been happy to just sit with her in silence. I really wished I could have held her hand, but Covid-19 prevented that. I told her that I loved her. She told me that she loved me, too. Then she needed her husband to administer her pain meds and I asked if it were time for me to leave. She said that it was. We left things open-ended regarding another visit. Gesturing in the direction of her husband, I told her I'd check in with the Chairman of the Board regarding the possibility of another visit (my attempt at being funny). She told me to check with her Press Secretary (aka her husband--her better attempt at being funny). 

Her husband walked me to the door and I thanked him for letting me visit. We both choked up at bit at that point. I also told him to, please, take good care of himself as he looked to be not eating well. To have to deal with illness and death is challenging in the best of times, but to have to navigate these unfortunate situations with Covid-19 looming over everything just makes it all so much more difficult. 

17 comments:

  1. The Inciter in Chief and his enablers have a lot to answer for - and sadly I doubt that any of them will be be put to the question.
    My heart goes out to you. Losing someone you love to cancer is never good, and the pandemic just adds another layer of nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was a horror.
      Yeah, I will miss spending time with M. x

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope she finds peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A genuine human drama greatly contrasts with the manufactured outrage and idiocy of Trumpism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to read about your friend. Life's a bitch sometimes, especially at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life's bumps in the road feel like massive hills at the moment.

      Delete
  5. That is sad. I feel for the husband a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. They've been together 32 years.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that's sad news about your lovely friend, Bea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your friend and her husband. I will think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was definitely a bad time to quit drinking. My dry January turned into dry-ish. Sorry to hear about your friend. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...