Friday, May 21, 2021

Back to work...

I have been working a couple of days here and there the past few weeks. It's been good, but fatiguing. I have had to re-adjust to standing for longer periods. Fortunately, I'm working with both friends and family, so if I need to 'take five' and rest the feet, then it's usually not an issue. 

Last weekend, I worked at the crepe stand my friend runs. We were at a well-visited Famers' Market in the East Bay. I hadn't worked with her since 2018 before a foot injury temporarily sidelined me. Most of how to do the work came back to me like riding a bicycle. Figuring out the payment system (Square & an iPhone) took me a minute as it's not second nature. Apple Pay was pretty dang easy to pick up. The customer holds his or her phone over the merchant's phone (aka the hand-held payment device) and VOILA! funds are transferred. 

Below is a shot of the crepe stand at the end of the day. I had already begun taking down the menu boards and the French flag before I thought of taking this picture. Does anyone recognize the flag not yet taken down? 







A small pile of lemon crepes to-go.

I worked a decent amount window-washing with my brother and his business partner this past week. The partner's adult daughter was on-hand as well. We all get on for the most part until someone mentions politics. The partner and daughter are political knuckleheads, to put it bluntly. During lunch one day this week I was recalling the time I was nearly sent back on a flight to the USA from Heathrow because it seemed that they thought I was trying to stay in the UK illegally. I had been put in a room with other travelers from Europe, Africa and the Middle East and my passport was removed from my person. After about three hours, I was released and able to join my friend who'd been patiently waiting for me to emerge from the international area of the airport. Both the partner and daughter were like: Whoa! If only we were that tough! We let everybody in! Blah-blah-blah....


The daughter, I should mention, is on government assistance. She lives in subsidized housing and she pays a pittance for medical appointments and prescriptions. I don't begrudge her the tremendous governmental support she receives, but I wonder if she's thought much about how the political party she identifies with would rather see her destitute than give her the aid she needs. I guess the question I would like to pose to her is: How can you both be a Republican and be on food stamps?  (Dear Reader: I will never ask.)

22 comments:

  1. Good news that your foot is on the mend! I think that the whole time I've known you, you've been dealing with this and so never knew what came before in your life. Crepes & pancakes are best served with lemon & sugar in my book :) Monkey see, monkey want this morning - even though it's a morning earmarked for porridge.

    As to your nerve-wracking tale of near deportation, your fine country nearly did the same to my own Mr. P when he flew from San Francisco to Vancouver for a business meeting day trip. Coming back into the US he was scooped up in his suit and briefcase and taken to one of those same rooms with all manner of immigration hopefuls with their worlds in plastic bags. It was many hours before he was released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very good news. :) As long as I occasionally take it a bit easy, then I think/hope that I'll be able to plug along without much issue.

      How awful that Mr. P was also subjected to such a stressful detainment. One wonders what the folk in charge were thinking when they detained a business person. :(

      Delete
  2. Hooray for being able to get back to work - and being able to rest when it all gets too much.
    And a big sigh at the question you cannot ask and she has no doubt never considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yes, I am grateful.

      She's also a newish mother. Sometimes I feel very sorry for the little one when she relates some of her tales of motherhood.

      Delete
  3. When I sell at a farmer's market, it's my Square and iPhone, and I still fumble with it. Not as easy as cash, but at least it's another way to take payment. Glad your feet are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today went really well at the market. I had no issues with Square. :)

      Delete
  4. Her answer would be "I'm entitled. I'm an American!" I have one such friend. Actually two, mother and daughter. Also former friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might say just that! I do not want to challenge her as it would make the work day really drag on. Once she mentioned how having to show one's vax 'passport' was like living in 'Nazi Germany'. I wouldn't go that far, I told her, and we left it at that.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's not very likely hence my posting. :)

      Delete
  6. They have obviously not had to queue up behind the red line at Kennedy Airport.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those crepes look good, but I have no idea what that flag is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky one as the flag is not yet official & only used since the 1980s, I believe. That and it's only flown in a few cities in...Berberland (Algeria). :)

      The crepes are super yummy.

      Delete
  8. I do love a crepe! Lemon and sugar for me! Nice to know that you've been able to work again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lemon and sugar hits the spot! Thanks, Joey, I'm so glad to be able to work a bit again, too.

      Delete
  9. Lemon Crepe...sounds good. I love lemon. Glad you're doing ok with the working and being on your feet. It is truly hard to understand a huge number of Republican voters vote against their own best interest and don't seem to know it. Mind blowing isn't it.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is mind-blowing.

      I love lemon in anything. A customer at the crepe stand asked for a lemon crepe with fresh strawberries this past Saturday. My boss-friend made it and we all thought: Oh, how lovely!

      Delete
  10. Any answers on the flag? I don't recognize at all but I like the looks of it. Glad you are able to get back out there and help out. Also, glad to hear the foot is feeling better. The crepes look amazing and I might have to try out a few when I get a chance. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flag is a stumper, I think. My crepe biz friend's hubs is Berber. The Berber aren't an independent people at this point as they live within various countries in No. Africa. The flag represent the Berber people, but isn't widely used across the Berber areas. I think it's cool, too.

      Delete
  11. Dear Bea, so glad that you can stand and work, even if you do have to take breaks. That means, I think, that your foot is much, much better. It just takes so long to recuperation as we age . . . and that needing more time, seems to me, to come as we move from our forties to our fifties. I don't know your age, but maybe my thinking fits and maybe not!

    As to the friends and their political views, especially the daughter, I always find myself wondering the same. That is, has the person thought about all the government does for him or her. And h ow the government subsidizes so many businesses and farmers and how the the big businesses supported by one party especially take advantage of the tax code we have.

    And without taxes how do we maintain roads and parks and bridges and schools and all that our taxes pay for? As the king of Siam say in "The King and I," "it's a puzzlement"!!!! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thinking fits like a glove! I turned 50 last year. :)

      Yes, I want her to receive the help she needs, but I would also like her to understand how governmental support helps folk in other ways (and that it's a good thing!).

      Good to hear from you, Dee. x

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...