Thursday, June 28, 2018

Entitled

Pointing to a spot on the wall she says: Is that chipped paint?  Referring to a former cleaner she says: I had to let her go. I couldn't afford to keep her. It was costing me too much. I mean I couldn't hire a painter after everytime she cleaned. You know?

Yes, lady with an 8,000 square foot house, we know.  We, a small gaggle of various cleaners, are in the master bedroom suite as she goes on--

Referring to yet another cleaner no longer with her: If she had just read the directions then she would have known that that was too much cleaner to use. I mean, four tablespoons is a quarter cup after all.

This was said aloud to any and all who were cleaning within earshot. This was also after she'd opened a set of blinds on my person via remote control. The paper-like fabric moving up and over my body felt like it took ages to complete, but, really, the whole thing probably only lasted about ten seconds. With the blinds now off, I turned on my ladder to see the client staring up at me, remote in hand. She then said something about the blinds tearing easily. I'm thinking, so opening them on body was a good idea?! 

Blinds these days open in all kinds of ways. Some open by draw-string, some open by gently tapping them upwards, some take a remote to open, and some (like a few of hers) are broken & can't be opened at all. That was the case with the first set of blinds I encountered in the client's bedroom. Standing under them, one can clean what needs to be cleaned.

The second set of blinds, I incorrectly assumed, were also not functioning. Additionally, I could not find a remote nearby to clue me into the fact that these were operated thusly. Time is also money and I'm not one to spend inordinate amounts of it looking for something not already in plain sight. I'm there to work, not futz around.

When we showed up to clean that morning, the client was out. She'd had an earlier appointement & couldn't we, too, show up early to meet her before she left? This question was asked the morning of. My boss told her he'd be unable to, but said he'd ask his business partner if he could be at her house some 60 minutes early as she'd requested. -turned out that he couldn't either as he had work calls to make before starting the day. 'Well, couldn't he make them during lunch?!' was her reply.

No, lady with gold-plated fixtures in all six bathrooms, he can't.

Later in the afternoon, the client found me in one of the many guest bedrooms holding back heavy window treatments with my forearm while I cleaned with my free hand. She made a show of moving the curtains away from a window I wasn't working on (they fell forward again, so no help). She then moved over to my window set to tell me that there was a cord (she looked in vain, took her a while to find it) that moved the curtains back. She pulled on it and the curtains moved in to press against my arm. I told her that I had already moved the curtains from the window as far as they would go. Using my arm was just for good measure as I didn't want any cleaning solution to come in contact with the fabric. She seemed somewhat satisfied with my answer and left the room without another word.

The below image is from the internet, but kind of gives one a picture of what I'm taking about re: the client's curtains.



Many of the monied clients we work for treat us just fine. And by 'fine' I mean leave us to work in peace. Would that she were one of them.

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps she felt like she had to be underfoot, as if she was doing something then. Some people... (But that's what blogs are for, to talk about those people.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that she doesn't make her own bed, I don't know if she feels like she needs to do more than show everyone who is boss.

      Delete
  2. How to get the dust from that set of curtains! Poor dear apparently was faced with generations of folk not trained in "Upstairs/Downstairs" methods.At the risk of dating myself, I hope you know of that BBC classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it funny that she didn't know how her curtains opened in the guest room. I imagine she never goes in except to peep what workers are doing. I used to watch that show on PBS! Glad they brought it back for a time.

      Delete
  3. There is a theory that the rise in childhood allergies like asthma has two causes. Houses being too clean so no resistance is developed at an early age, and the chemicals in the cleaning fluids themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. She lives alone in that big, old clean house. Wonder if her adult children are asthmatic?

      Delete
  4. Well she sounds like a lovely lady. =) At least she provided you with some material for an entertaining blog post. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she was about as lovely walking barefoot over a rocky beach. :D

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...