Sunday, July 14, 2019

Rehab pool

A rather large woman with learning difficulties dropped, feet first, into the pool in front of a life guard. The pool is only 4.5" deep where she took her plunge. The woman jumped in with a big splash soaking an elderly woman floating very nearby. The life guard didn't react. Startled and wet from the splash the older woman belted out: WHAT IN THE HELL WAS THAT?! Still no reaction from the guard. Ah, well.

This is 'open swim' at the Pomeroy Recreation and Rehabilitation Pool, ladies and gents. During this hour, folk with physical disabilities/limitations share the pool with people who have cognitive disabilities (and sometimes physical impairments as well) and that mix can become rather interesting at times. I tend to keep out of the way in the deep end, treading water for much of my pool visit. I do enjoy, however, seeing some of the other swimmers' unbounded joy at being in the water. There's usually lots of laughter and some squeals of delight. The occasional splash in the face happens, too. And that's fine. If I were elderly and in the pool, then I might worry a bit about colliding with the the more rambunctious visitors. This is especially so given that the lifeguards, like the one mentioned above, don't really seem to do much in terms of regulating behavior. Some of the more dependent pool-users come strictly with hands-on carers, but many visitors who seem to perhaps need looking after (like the woman who jumped in feet first in the shallow end) do not.

The Pomeroy Center boasts being home to the largest public rehab* pool in a 'forty mile radius'. That said, single visits to the pool cost $9.00. An annual pass could be had to the tune of $685.00. I have no idea if insurance could pick up part of the tab. I've heard from other pool users that most rehab pools are closer to the size of a Jacuzzi. This pool, by contrast, seems to be larger than your average backyard pool, but nowhere near an Olympic-size pool. (I tried to find the Pom's pool dimensions, but that info. doesn't seem to be anywhere on their website.) There's usually enough room to swim a bit, perform water exercises and not get in anyone's way, really. Occasionally, it's a 'full house' and at those times I usually shorten the length of my stay or simply hang around the edge of the pool and do some serious leg kicks for exercise.



*What qualifies the Pom as a rehab pool is the fact that it's heated to 92F/33C. I think most pools are slightly cooler, generally around 84F/29C. Dipping into the Pom feels like entering a warm bath. I find it very pleasant.

18 comments:

  1. I prefer my water cooler than that, and avoid one of our 'public pools' because the surroundings and water are both too warm for me.
    Our rehab pool at the hospital has recently been closed, much to the dismay (and detriment) of many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you suppose there could be a chance for the rehab pool to either re-open or open elsewhere? It would seem sort of anti-healthcare to dispense with such a resource!

      I find our city pools to be sort of on the edge of warm. If I'm not moving my body, then things start to feel a bit chilly.

      Delete
    2. A new one has been promised. But they also promise to build the new one before they closed the old one.

      Delete
  2. My sister visits a rehab pool several times a week. She has a medically reduced rate of some sort. She's gone for years, and she and the other users have (or not) formed little social groups. They all have names for each other, and her pool adventures can be a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll bet! I am sorting out the little groups among the pool users as I go along. It's been about a month since I began visiting the pool facility.

      Delete
  3. If one is at the pool at that time, one must be ready for some splashing. Sounds like it can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely never boring! (The pool was closed one day last week because someone had pooped in it.)

      Delete
  4. I would love that water temp. Hope your insurance picks up the tab and you can enjoy the Pom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the temp. is a dream. I'm grateful to have access to the Pom.

      Delete
  5. Dear Bea, when I lived in Stillwater, MN, I had a bad back for a couple of years. The doctor recommended that I go two or three times a week to Courage Center, which was a rehab center for all sort of ills. I don't swim, but, oh, did I enjoy getting into the water and walking back and forth in sort of the middle of the pool. And I met some lovely people. We shared our health stories and cheered one another on and rejoiced when our water exercise had resulted in better health. Going to that pool certainly helped get rid of the pain in my back! I hope you are not experiencing pain but that you go to the pool to stay fit. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water exercise can be so forgiving on the body. I'm glad that your back pain was alleviated by the pool visits!

      I have enjoyed meeting others as well. One man's brother ran an Irish bar here & collected money for the IRA (on the sly, I suppose).

      Delete
  6. I prefer my water cooler than that, and avoid one of our 'public pools' because the surroundings and water are both too warm for me.sandfilteranlage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nearly too warm for me, but suited my limited needs at the time. I think that most of our public pools are heated to somewhere around 82F.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. Pool ohneBeton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. pool contractors orange county

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. https://pool.net/gartenpool/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks Pool Villa

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...