Tuesday, April 2, 2019

55 years ago...

the first graduating class of Woodrow Wilson High School (Spring '64) in San Francisco buried a time capsule on the grounds of their school. What was inside? -nothing about either Elvis or The Beatles, apparently. Found in the capsule were items almost exclusively having to do with school life: prom mementos, a class photo, a commencement brochure & a copy of the school paper. 

In 2014, as the campus was being converted into Phillip Burton Academic High School, a group of adults from the first graduating class were invited to participate in the unearthing of the time capsule. My mother happened to have been class president her senior year, so she was extended an invite to attend. You can see her in the second photo down to the left of two other Class of '64 kids.  


Extraction

Unfurling the class photo

Prom program, the theme was “Non Dimenticar,” Italian for “never forget". Tickets were $5.


School newspaper

Wilson was the first high school on the southeast side of the city to have been built. My mother never talked about it, but I've heard from others that there was a lot of racial tension as blue-collar white kids mixed with with black kids from Hunters Point on campus. During my Uncle's time at Wilson some 8 years later, the school had already developed a rep for being 'tough'. When I was a teen, Wilson kids were seen as those whom you didn't fuck with. 

Having closed its doors in 1996, Wilson High School is now but a distant memory. How nice for my mom and her old school chums to have been able to participate in the time capsule excavation. 

13 comments:

  1. That must have been interesting for her. Funnily enough, my parents graduated high school in 1964, too. (Although way south of San Francisco.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did their school(s) put a time capsule in the ground as well? -kind of a neat thing to have done.

      Delete
    2. Not that I know of. They've never mentioned it. Jordan High School wasn't new when they were there, so I doubt it.

      Delete
  2. I think our school buried a time capsule in 1967, the year of Canada's Centennial. I don't know if it was dug up for the Sesquicentennial in 2017. I've been long gone from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I wonder what would be found inside were it to be unearthed? Perhaps the contents would be as mundane these. :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder whether a time capsule planted today would focus on the school? I suspect not.
    And yes, how lucky for your mother to be able to participate at both ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure the 2019 time capsule would include some type of tech. A mobile phone, maybe?

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this idea before. It must have been very interesting for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated in 1961. I've been back to one class reunion, in all these years. Like your mom's school, mine was in a very blue collar neighborhood. Your mom's grey hair is wonderful. Mine's half way there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom went grey in her early 40s, but her husband said something like 'I didn't marry a woman with grey hair', so she colored it for years. :(

      San Francisco's swung in such the other direction that young families who can afford living here send their children to private school. Or, as one parent said within earshot of me, privée. Oh, brother!

      Delete
  6. All the contents look exceptionally well preserved. I've sometimes read of time capsules being opened only to find decaying lumps of mush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose that capsule must have been sealed very well. Lucky them!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...