Thursday, April 25, 2019

San Francisco Mental Map



This is my mental map of San Francisco. Spots noted were cherry-picked from my own memories of this town during the 70s, 80s and 90s. Accuracy is secondary to what you think about a place when it comes to creating a mental map. 

In another post, I created a mental map of California. It took me all of three mintues to cobble the pencil sketch of California together. The SF mental map took me about 2 hours to complete. Again, as mental maps are quite personal, these images and references might hold very little meaning to others. However, I will bet that there are other Gen-Xers who grew up here who would probably get a lot of what I put down! 

10 comments:

  1. How fun. Everything I could not relate to I did marginally understand. Lazerium? If it's a laser concert, I never saw one. I bet bet it was magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a laserium (I misspelled it) in the park housed within the Cal Academy of Sciences. We would watch a lightshow to the tunes of Pink Floyd, Led Zep, and, later, The Police. It was fab.

      Delete
  2. I loved your mental map - and the concept. My map of my home town would be very different to the 'official versions' but packed brimful of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mental maps are fun in that the pressure is off to be factually correct. It's what you remember and that's the best.

      Delete
  3. I like that a lot. 'Buying Drugs' is a street I rarely visit these days. Taking Other People's Drugs street is where I hang my hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you liked it. No pressure, but if you're ever keen to share your mental map of Bath, I would love to see it.

      Delete
    2. I have shared my 17th century map of Bath, which is more or less what I use as my mental one. It takes me back.

      Delete
  4. It's a fun concept. I've only been to San Francisco a couple times, so I'll have to take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly outdated/subjective save for the zoo, SFSU and the like. I could not tell you where one would buy drugs today, for example. :)

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...