Monday, June 24, 2019

Billy the Goose

To us kids, my dad's cousin Bill was the dude at the holiday table you didn't want to hear from. He was kind of a blow-hard, a bit of a drunk & a gambler par excellence. Word had it that he had lost his mother's San Francisco rental properties on a slew of bad bets. His 'lady friend', Evelyn, as Bill would refer to her, was a sweetheart, however. She smiled easily and never had a bad word to say about anyone. Upon her retirement sometime in the mid-90s, she upped sticks and moved back to the South to care for her mother. I remember thinking: I can't blame her. Bill stayed behind, relocating to a small flat in a town just south of San Francisco called Brisbane. 

Back in 2009, through an old acquaintance, I got a gig tending bar at The Eagles Club, a members' only joint where one can drink on the cheap, in Brisbane. Given that 2+2=4, I had a strong hunch that Bill probably would be a member of this club, so I started asking around. -pretty much the everyone in the bar said: 'Billy The Goose? Oh, yeah, we know Billy!' Bill's surname is Le Gasse, so there you go. Bill finally came in one night when I was behind the bar. We hadn't seen each other in a good ten years---sometime before my Dad's death in 2002. I don't know if he immediately remembered me, but he began warming up once I reminded him of who I was. He seemed a bit frail and somewhat out-of-sorts. Maybe he was just pickled? Anyway, we had a nice, initial chat from what I recall. 

Flash forward ten years and I find myself this afternoon back in Brisbane at a burrito joint with my husband. The Eagles Club happens to be just across the street from the restaurant, so I make my way over after our meal. Peeking my head in to the bar, I can make out Bill sitting in almost exactly the same spot as he was when I last saw him there. I walk up to him, say hello and remind him of who I am. He looks a bit stunned, asking me how I had known where he'd be today. I smile and say, 'because I used to work here.' He asks me if he could 'sign me in'. I tell him I can't stay, so he comes out to the pavement for a chat and to meet my husband. 


Bill circa mid-1990s at my Dad's house. He looks much the same, but with solid, white hair & minus the beeper on his belt.

We caught up on who in the family is still kicking and who is not. And, then, for some reason, he recounted what happened the day my Dad died. (I know the story already, but didn't feel comfortable cutting him off.) A rather short story even shorter: Dad and his wife had taken Bill and Trini, his next 'lady friend' after Evelyn, out to dinner for Bill's birthday. Dad was feeling poorly, and, on his way to the toilet, started to collapse, but not before Bill caught up with him and literally caught Dad as he fell. 'He died right in my arms'. Again, I knew this story, but I don't think I had ever heard it directly from him. Or maybe I had? Dunno. 

Bill also mentioned that our Swedish Family Picnic at the usual spot was still up and running after Dad revitalized it back in the 1980s. One of my second cousins, a cousin of Bill and my Dad's (that makes one a second cousin, no?), has been organizing it since Dad's death. I haven't been to the picnic since before Dad died. I took Bill's no., so I suppose I will call him for a firm date on the picnic. It's either in July or August. It might be a bit weird to attend, but it could also be nice to visit with some of the other 'Swedish' relations after all this time. 

I will leave you with the reason why we picnic--my great-grandparents, Axel and Anna, two Swedish immigrants meeting and marrying in Bernal Heights, San Francisco, ca. 1904. 




14 comments:

  1. Every family has one. And those who are just embarassments are better than some.
    Your great grandparents were a very stylish couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True and it wasn't my property he lost. Bill was born the same year as my Dad. It's a trip he's made it so long & in pretty decent nick, considering. His handshake was rather firm, too!

      Axel and Anna are looking might fine, no?

      Delete
  2. Oh, families . . . . That's a beautiful photo of your great-grandparents' wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families, indeed! Now that I am no longer a hot-headed youth, I can tolerate Bill. He's also one of few remaining links to the past. Yes, the photo is nice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to mention the link to the past. One day you'll look up and be the "older generation". It's good to have that link, and look after it, as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Bill even said a few lines of greeting to me in Swedish. Ha. It sounded good. I can imagine he must have heard a lot of Swedish being spoken at Axel and Anna's house when he visited as a boy.

      Delete
  5. At least he's still around and kicking. Good that you can still run into him from time to time. You'll have to tell us all about the picnic if you make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall!

      It's remarkable that he's still kicking. I think he and my dad were born the same year, so Bill is nearly 80. It's almost like all the booze has acted as a preservative. ;)

      Delete
  6. Dear Bea, all my relatives of the previous generation are dead now. When I think of them, I can remember some one like Billy" and others who fit the description of--it seems to me--the relatives of most of my friends. One thing seems certain, and that is that all families have some dysfunction. Mine certainly does (and I may be it!!!!!). Take care of yourself and please keep blogging for you always bring to my mind something from my own history. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Dee. After re-reading this post, it occurred to me that I didn't acknowledge Bill's difficulty that day at the restaurant in 2002 when he recounted the tale. I think I was just interested in changing the subject.

      You're certainly correct. All families have some level of dysfunction. And thanks for the encouragement about continuing blogging. It's nice to hear. x Bea

      Delete
    2. Dear Bea, someone encouraged me recently to continue writing my books because it was my passion and showed my creativity. That made my day--all day!!! So I'm glad that you liked hearing how much I enjoy your blog. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the story and the photos. Hope you are able to make it to the picnic and reconnect with some of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did. I hope to be able to attend the picnic. It will, if anything, a huge trip.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...