Sunday, August 18, 2019

Kite-flying weather & furry creatures

We went back to the beach this weekend & were met with the more usual August weather for this region: a goodly amount of wind and cooler temps. Fortunately, the sun was out, so that was nice. We brought along with us our newly acquired beach tent. Gusts of wind were really whipping at the beach. Tucked away in the tent, we were protected from the elements, but still had a good view of the surf as the front of the tent was left open and the wind was coming in from the south. The sea action was nothing like it had been last weekend, but we still enjoyed our day. It helped, too, that we had brought along a rather easy yet fun Tuesday New York Times crossword to complete. My only quibble was that the puzzle was solved way too soon! (This is rarely the case, might I add.)


Set-up

As Eric was setting up the beach tent, I walked over to the line of boulders that separates the beach from the walk path above in search of a rock we could use to help weigh the tent down. Poking around for a good-sized rock led to this moment---






These wee creatures, I'd call them coastal squirrels, have lived among the rocks for at least as long I have been alive. When I was a kid, I would try in vain to get close to them in order to see what they looked like. Any sound would send them scurrying away, never to be seen again. Up until only a few years ago, this was still the case. Now, it's a different ballgame. As I approached the rocks, a squirrel popped out. The closer I came to him, the closer he came to me. It was jarring. I clapped my hands together at him and he remained motionless. I thought, Well, OK, I will now take your photo as little me would be so thrilled. I leaned my phone in to get closer to him and he moved forward toward my outstretched hand. It's clear that wildlife is being fed and that the constant feeding by visitors has changed how the squirrels interact with humans and it's not for the better. After taking the furry one's photo, I tossed a rock a few inches away from him to see what he would do. Well, he went after it as if it were a snack. :S 

Let's keep wildlife wild by not feeding it, shall we?

Break-down

All my husband needed in the above shot was a massive string affixed to the collapsing tent. He then could have sent the thing sky high! Due to the wind, hubs wasn't able to corral the tent long enough to fold it up, so we walked with it open and blowing (like you see in the pic) off the beach in order to successfully put it away.




16 comments:

  1. At least the tent kept you our of the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sans tent we wouldn't have lasted very long.

      Delete
  2. You have reminded me just how much I love seeing kites in the skies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a kite? There is something inspirational about flying a good one really high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May your wildlife message be broadcast to the winds, also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The squirrels do this in the local parks, too. On a walk one Saturday, one squirrel followed us until it became clear we weren't going to feed it. They came out of the bushes to us. It's so not good to feed them, but clearly others are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that being followed by an insistent squirrel must have been a bit freaky.

      Delete
  6. Ah, what a pity that you didn’t manage to put the tent up successfully. Or did you?
    Nosy squirrels are a pest here too, they feed off the bird table and I tend to chase them away because they are not exactly wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were successful in putting up the tent. It was the taking down of the tent that presented the greatest challenge. Without the shelter, our stay at the beach would have been very short, indeed!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...