Saturday, November 2, 2019

Just keep swimming

Creature from the Blue Lagoon

Swimming had been recommended by both a podiatrist and a physical therapist when I was first getting back on my feet, literally, after having sustained a foot injury. When I initially dipped my toes in the pool back in late Spring, I was clad in a somewhat tatty, old suit and had no googles. That was fine for treading water and floating on my back, but as I grew both more confident and more able, I knew I needed new kit. First, I bought googles, then a sporty, new bathing suit. The purple swimming cap came after it seemed that the chlorinated pools I was swimming in were turning my hair to straw. 

There are a lot of accouterments a burgeoning swimmer like me could purchase yet---swimming fins, kick boards, earplugs, nose-plugs, swimming booties...etc., but I haven't seen the need. Most public pools stock kick boards and fins to be used by swimmers during lap swim periods. And my cap does a decent job of keeping water from my ears thus far. I have seen swimmers wearing nose-plugs, and am sort of curious about them. I don't, however, mind a bit of water going in my nose while swimming. I just blow it back out when my face is still under water. 

This past week saw me visiting the outdoor pool in earnest before the time change Sunday. The weather has been steady at 70F/20C during the afternoon most days, so I felt it almost a duty to get out there and swim before the days shorten and cooler temps finally set in. 

I am sort of keen to keep up swimming outside during the cooler months and was wondering if I could hack it. Fortunately, I struck up a chat with an older woman at the outdoor pool who swims with a snorkel because she 'can't turn her neck without pain'. She told me that swimming is the most forgiving form of exercise that she can undertake. She swims all-year-round. Her trick for keeping warm is that she wears a suit made of Neoprene, the material used in making surfers' wet-suits. She told me of a women's aquatic apparel store, located down in Santa Cruz, that sells Neoprene swimming suits. I shall be checking that place out in short order. I asked her if her extremities warmed up while swimming. I can't remember what she said, but she did stress that as long as one's kidneys were kept warm, then swimming during winter months should not be an issue. Well, OK, I'm going for it! 

13 comments:

  1. I hear her on swimming being a forgiving exercise. Swim caps are compulsory in the pool I go to (which I NEED to get back to) to keep hair out of the pool.
    Good luck - and happy swimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, E.C. I'm glad to have found a new way to exercise that is easy on the foot. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello to the Creature from the Blue Lagoon.
    I can tread water! In the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any of that kit - just plod up and down, up and down, head out of water breast stroke, half-a-mile then out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good. I would like to vary my pool routine. Learning other strokes would be optimal. The butterfly looks like an interesting challenge.

      Delete
  4. I'm happy it works for you. All the physios want me in the water in the worst way, and I can't bear the thought. My sister does it, daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Jan. I visit the pool 5-6 days a week.

      Delete
  5. That's a great photo! I always have to wear nose plugs when swimming. I cannot stand the sensation of water up my nose. Let us know how the winter swimming turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! That was after about 45 min. in the pool. I will keep you all posted on how things progress. :)

      Delete
  6. Have you considered a full on wetsuit? That might help as well. Are the outdoor pools still heated in winter? that might help, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not. I thought that such a garment might be too confining. If the Neoprene bathing suit doesn't work out, then I'll investigate wetsuits. I think the outdoor pools are, indeed, heated in winter. I'll ask to be totally sure.

      Delete
  7. Well done and good luck with the winter swimming.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...