Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Sazerac, a rye whiskey lover's cocktail

This post was inspired by Debra at She Who Seeks. Her last post was a tongue-in-cheek entry about food blogs. I have occasionally posted about food and drink, so here's one for a the drinkers out there. Zum Wohl!

When I still drank alcohol, I made a lot of 'fancy' drinks for myself at home once I stopped professionally tending bar. (This home 'habit' was also probably why I stopped drinking five years ago, to be honest.) I was a brown liquor fan, and when rye whiskey came back in fashion here in the bar world around 2005, or so, I and a lot of other 'tenders began substituting it in drinks that traditionally called for bourbon to good effect. The modern-day Manhattan recipe makes a great cocktail, but substituting the bourbon for rye whiskey gives one a delightful variation on theme. 

The Sazerac, one of the the earliest cocktails created in the states around 1850, traditionally called for brandy. Today's version uses rye whiskey and here's my take on it:

Ingredients

2 ounces of Rye
Pernod
3-4 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
bar spoon of simple syrup
lemon twist/peel

Directions

Ice a 'bucket' glass (here I used a coupĂ© cuz I'm fancy like that), then add a splash or so of Pernod, swirl it around then dump out contents. This glass is now 'coated' with Pernod.  

In a mix tin (one half of a Boston shaker set) add rye, bitters and simple syrup over ice. Stir with bar spoon until cold. I would usually just slowly shake mine in a Boston shaker set until cold and it is never bruised.  


Strain contents of tin into bucket coated with Pernod and squeeze lemon peel over the cocktail. I liked to also rim the glass with the peel before discarding. For the purposes of taking a 'fun' photo, the cocktail has been garnished with peel.  






16 comments:

  1. I did not know you were once a bartender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-yup! I was a drink-slinger for ten years before becoming an ESL instructor.

      Delete
  2. You can keep that one. I never warmed to whiskey in any of its variations.
    I suspect you heard and saw a LOT during your time as a slinger of drinks. Some of which you could have done without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've got the bartender lingo and techniques down pat! And thanks for the link -- I always wondered where the word "cocktail" came from and now I know. Rye whisky is big on the Canadian prairies, but we drink it as God intended -- mixed with Coca-Cola.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could make me sorry I gave up the drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot, I'm almost sorry I gave it up as well. -can't go back, however. It could get messy.

      Delete
  5. I'll give that a go, sounds and looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bea, so sorry that so much time has passed since I last visited your blog. Much has happened, but now things are calming down and I hope to begin my daily blog visits and writing on Monday. I'm starting a new memoir. After I left the convent and made friends who liked to go to bars on Friday after a day of teaching, I learned rather quickly that I'm allergic to alcohol. But oh, did I like whiskey and something called Sleevovich (not sure of spelling) a brandy from Croatia! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Dee. It's nice to read a comment from you. I have never had Slivovitz, but do know of it.

    May the writing process be an enjoyable one!

    Bea x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost you at Belushi because I made a really, really bad typo. It was Jim not John. My bad. And on a blog post where I was making fun of people's intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I forgive you your typo as it's really easy to overlook Jim Belushi.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...