Monday, May 25, 2020

Beach finds/Strandfunde and Tow Truck Dudes

A bird's egg in a bird's nest!

A bunch of grapes made from the bulbous bits of kelp.

Coastal kids in the 70s remember what their parents used for ashtrays out in the backyard.


My car died the other day when I was downtown running an errand. I haven't had a modern (read: computerized)  car ever car crap out on me, so I was a bit confused as to what was going on. The dashboard flashed various warning messages like: OIL CHANGE IN 30 DAYS while I was trying to turn the engine over. The radio had also stopped working. The last car I owned for any length of time was a '66 VW Beetle. There was nothing on that dash other than a gas gauge, speedometer and odometer. Everything was pretty straightforward when the Beetle died. (And it did often.) 


I called VW to see if I could bring the car in. I then called a tow service. The pick-up for towing was set. I paid upfront. During my hour wait for the tow, I noticed that the engine was *almost* turning over. -an improvement from when I first attempted to start the car. So I figured I should ask the tow dude if he could provide a jump in the off-chance that the car would start. Also I wasn't going to be able to get the car down to VW before they closed for the day and did not want to pay to have my car parked at the tow yard over the long weekend. Anyway, the tow guys arrived and I asked for the jump. I got in the driver's seat and started the car. Nothing happened. Instead of trying again, the main dude working the jumper cables asked the secondary dude to get into the driver's seat. I really didn't want that because of fears around virus transmission, but I also didn't want to argue. As it turned out, the man who was now in my car did not know how to drive stick. I had to tell him what to do. It worked. The engine turned over. Then I had to tell him to, please, put the car in 'neutral' before getting out of the car. Based on his appearance, I would have guessed that he hails from a country where driving a manual transmission is still the norm. Maybe he didn't know the word 'neutral' in English? But he works in the towing industry? I dunno. 

Thrilled, I did a wee happy dance and thanked them both profusely. Then our main man asked me point blank for a tip. A tip? But I had already paid for the service? I was confused, but, honestly, had no cash on hand and told him so. I was about to say 'agent carries no money', but he wouldn't have gotten the joke. Anywho, so I guess my question is: Are we tipping tow guys now?

14 comments:

  1. I do like your beach finds - and well remember abalone ashtrays. And pintrays.
    Tipping the tow drivers? Hmmm. We are mostly not a tipping economy but my gut would say firmly NO. Which could be a cultural reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, E.C. I love that abalone ashtrays are seemingly, nearly universal. :D

      Delete
  2. I knew as soon as you said the radio was dead that your battery was the issue. A radio draws its power directly from the battery and not the car's electrical or other operating systems. If your battery gets low again, be sure to turn off the radio and the headlights (if on) before trying to start your engine. Like the radio, headlights also draw directly from the battery, so if both are turned off, it leaves more battery power to start your car and you might not need a jump.

    The above is the only useful auto engine info I ever got from my father. But it has stood me in good stead over the past 40 years, LOL. And no, no need to tip me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful. Thank you, Debra. And I'm so glad you are not requiring a tip! :D

      Delete
  3. I've learnt the hard way that as soon as your battery gives any hint of age, get a new one, and either make sure they use a slave battery so your car doesn't lose power when they change it, or have the codes handy to reset the radio and anything else.
    you have the codes to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasker. I will be getting a new one on Tuesday.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got it going. Tipping is not the norm here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do remember those shells, although we used them for other things.

    No, I've never tipped a tow truck guy. Although, I usually call for them through AAA. It's usually a battery thing I call for, and they replace my battery where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAA offers a good service with battery replacement on site!

      Delete
  6. Wow. Asking for a tip? I am not surprised by much anymore but that does seem to be a bit much. Glad they were able to get you up and running.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...