Friday, February 12, 2021

Statler

Not much gets me excited during quarantine other than beach walks and bike journeys through the neighborhood. I do, however, take some delight in watching animal videos via Youtube. The latest sensation to come across my computer screen was Statler, a 33-year-old fruit bat with one missing eye. Statler lives at a Bat Sanctuary in Texas. He looks like a wee canine with wings. I had no idea that bats could live as long as he has. I suppose his living in captivity has prolonged his life. Sadly, his having lived in captivity has also contributed to his arthritic condition and (probably) loss of eye ball! Anyway, here is a short, 3.38 min. about sweet, old Statler and some of his elderly bat-pals. 

This short clip is worth a look (provided his global fame has not yet reached your corner of the world), if you're so inclined. What's especially heart-warming about this vid is (spoiler!) Statler's helpers assist him in 'flying' by holding him aloft as he moves his arthritic wings up and down like an animatronic Disney creature circa 1962.



16 comments:

  1. I think animal videos have kept more people going than we imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It's pretty fun stuff. The bat caretakers are dynamite at their job. The 'geribatric' bats want for nothing!

      Delete
  3. Awwwwww, so freakin' cute! "Geribatrics," LOL! I hope someone takes such good care of me when I'm an old bat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 'geribatrics' is a mouthful. Hehe. Old bats are we (becoming)! I look forward to dunking my face into a bowl of fruit.

      Isn't it great how they are taking care of those lovely old bats? The bat that looks like a wee bear melted my heart as well.

      Delete
  4. Awww.
    Thanks for this reminder about 'good' people. Animals often charm me - our species much more rarely. And I hope that some day there will be people around to help my arthritic self fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. :)

      Those aging bats are living the good life and as well they should!

      Delete
  5. Hello Bea,

    'Gerebatrics', now there is something new learned today.

    We lived for many years in an ancient cottage in Herefordshire with bats in our roof. They were fine residents in the main, just some scuffling at night which we became used to. The only problems was our cats who on one occasion managed to capture a bat and bring it to us as a trophy....in our bedroom....at night. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello! It's nice to see you've left your thoughts here on the subj. of bats. Yes, I can well imagine that cats and bats can be a deadly combination. -very much not fun for you. :(

      Delete
  6. A bat sanctuary in Texas? I feel for that bat. He still has a good appetite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Statler is still going strong after so many years. It's remarkable. Those old bats at the sanctuary are treated like kings and queens.

      Delete
  7. I heard about Statler last week and it was one of those stories that I needed to see as it reminded that there are still good folks out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. He and his bat gang of elders are wonderful.

      Delete
  8. I am sure bats are not the most popular mammals right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bathwater. Thanks for the comment. I'm curious, has there been a spate of bad bat press of late?

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...