Friday, September 9, 2022

Suck it!

I'm not proud to admit that I told a woman the other day to 'suck it'. What led up to that point may explain why I unleashed, shall we say, on her. I was walking along Castro St. near Market St., an area heavy with foot traffic (read: tourists photographing various and sundry, people sleeping rough along shop entryways, and the occasional naked man sunning his privates), when a young man crossed the pavement in front of me in order, I presume, to enter a shop. What I did not immediately notice was that he was walking a large, black dog on a lead. The dog, acting as a dog might in this situation, may have felt that I was too close to either him or the man, then reared up on his hind legs and began barking and snarling very close to my face. I can't quite recall exactly the sound I made, but I think it was some sort of started cry. The next thing I see is the man holding his dog about the rib cage from behind in an attempt to keep Fido under control. While wrangling the dog he told me he was 'so sorry'. I was too freaked out at that point to respond well and just blurted out: Are you?!  

'He's a rescue; he's never done that before.' I'm thinking, Did you just get that dog yesterday? What I said was something like: Oh, I must smell of cat. And gave a weak smile as I turned to walk away. During this brief exchange I heard a woman some feet away say: Leave him alone. She was referring to my having spoken to the self-appointed Dog Whisperer in an unkind tone. Heart pounding out of my chest and both feet warm and tingling (I assume a stress response), I asked her to verify what she'd said. Putting her hands together in some sort of bullshit 'namaste' pose she told me to have a good rest of my day. I did the same shit back to her and then told her that I was really freaked out by the dog. I also mentioned that I'd suffered a dog attack before. She said she'd been attacked as well--so where was the concern? It was placed on dog dude. I can't recall what else I said, but I do know that I punctuated the whole thing with a loud SUCK IT. Am I proud of that? No. Had it been better if she'd simply minded her own business? Yes.


The 'naked man' link above will not show you willies, but will highlight the issue for those of you who are curious. 


Castro St. 



17 comments:

  1. Not the ideal place to take a dog anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, yet so many people do take their dogs along this stretch, but it might not be the best place for a rescue out on a walk. We peds are not guinea-pigs for these rescuers to sort of 'practice' their charges on.

      Delete
  2. Agreeing with gz. Crowded areas like that challenge dogs - and their owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and those who fancy themselves dog rehabbers.

      Delete
  3. Some dog owners are ,sadl,y not fully aware of their resposibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they've bitten off--no pun intended--more than they can chew.

      Delete
  4. What the hell was it to do with her anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly nothing to do with her. I wonder if she'd misread the situation...? Made me see red, for sure.

      Delete
  5. I have done/said worse when shocked. Dog owners think that they can do no wrong or prevent Fido from any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame to learn that dog owners act similarly in your neck of the woods as well.

      Delete
  6. Yikes, that would have freaked me out, too. Why others would have to insert themselves into the situation, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have settled for an 'Are you all right?' That would have been preferred to the judgement on her end. :D

      Delete
  7. I had a woman get shirty with with me when I was trying to get off the plane. She felt I had pushed in front of her. I wasn't aware we had to leave the plane row by row I just moved forward. Anyway she started ranting and I said nothing and stood still and let her get her cases out first and just stood there, she still carried on even though I said nothing. Afterwards I was thinking of all the things I could have said and didn't. Suck it would have been very tame, so don't feel bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your response was probably the best one. She did not get what she wanted out of you which seems to have been a rise. No satisfaction. Ha.

      Delete
  8. I love it. Way to go, Bea. Sometimes you just got let it out of your system. I am glad you are OK. Sounds like it could have been much worse with the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those dog owners... I'm glad that the attack wasn't worse, but, my goodness, dog walkers, please, place yourself between poochie and others when out and about. And especially if there's a trigger for the dog with certain attire. I mean, really! I told a woman once a few years ago who was sort of leash training her dog around a walking/jogging track that I wasn't her guinea pig after tiny Fido went after my ankles. I wish you'd been able to give those folks a piece of your mind as well. x

    I've noticed that I've been a bit more on edge when crossing the street of late as well. I think my mind is thinking: If a dog can pop seemingly out of nowhere, then so, too, can a car! I try to remember to engage in breathing exercises when I'm feeling tense like that. It helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...