Friday, November 4, 2022

Toilet talk

I don't know if I've ever mentioned that I occasionally take my cat, Bart, out for walks around the neighborhood. I took him in as a stray; the veterinarian thought Bart was probably around five-years-old at his first vet visit. That said, I didn't know if he'd take to a harness and leash, but, fortunately, he has! He is a bit unpredictable--sometimes he seems panicked by passersby, but he's been happy to meet other walkers who wish to reach down and pet him. It's a bit of a crap shoot, but an engaging one. 

I was out the other evening dropping off campaign literature ('lit drop') for Yes on J while walking Bart. Bartie seemed particularly taken with a massive dirt patch out front one of the houses I approached. This isn't too abnormal as Bart likes to both smell just about everything he encounters and is a keen grass/weed nibbler. Watching him paw at the dirt I thought: I wonder if he hears a gopher below ground...? And as I was still in that bit of gopher reverie, Bart had dug a small hole, squatted over it and defecated. I was both amused and somewhat mortified by the whole affair, to be honest. Just as soon as he'd completed his 'mission', he turned round and promptly buried his waste. That's just as well as I hadn't expected the 'non-lit drop' from him and certainly didn't have a way to transport his bowel movement home with me. 

I will leave you NOT with a snap of Bartie indispose, but rather a shot of him from today's walk when he found an old cat scratcher dumped on the side of the road. 




16 comments:

  1. Cats clean up after themselves and no one's the wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Bart. Cats are good like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Bart indeed. Having to carry a pooper scooper with you could make walks less pleasant. He looks to be a big boy, and I love his curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's fairly hefty, yes. I love his curiousity, too!

      Delete
  4. Have never walked out cat. Could be an interesting experieces for us both, but she's around 11 or 12 now so probably too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might be interested in a 'walk' while being carried in a kitty rucksack. :)

      Delete
  5. I carry bags for the dog, but I guess you don't really need to for the cat. I have seen people walk cats before. All pets are required to be on leashes in my condo complex, and there is a resident who does walk her cat. Strange to see the first time, but less of a shock the more I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I know what he's capable of while out on a walk, I may have to start carrying poo bags as well.

      Delete
  6. I finally gave away my cat's leash. He never would wear it and eventually outgrew it. He always refused to go out; blew a storm of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good sized cat. Is he larger than most or is it just the picture? Pretty sure my cats would not have done well on a leash back in the day. Guess you'll have to be like dog walkers who bring baggies with them and tie them on the leash ? Does your area have a law indicating you have to clean up after your pets? I know some areas do and others don't.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the picture is fibbing a bit. He's 18 lbs. of BIG BOY, however. I should always now have a baggie when out and about. Yes, there are laws in place around pets and curbing their *ahem* habits.

      Delete
  8. Bart looks pretty sweet in his harness and I am glad he takes care of his droppings. What a good kitty. I wish I could teach my dogs that trick.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...