Sunday, February 12, 2023

Party People, Haifisch

I am not normally one to repeatedly peer out the window at neighbors' homes across the way, but, my god, it's been both an interesting and perplexing sight since moving to our new digs in the early months of the pandemic. At that time, there was not yet a Covid vaccine available, most folk--who could--were working from home and the mask mandate was in effect for businesses and on public transport. One particular house across the way from us seemed to be operating on a different frequency than the rest on the block. Most nights the already tight street parking would fill up with cars, folks armed with booze and no masks would pour out and make their way to what was quickly dubbed the Party House. Party House raged until the wee hours on the regular. 

Under non-pandemic circumstances I may have even wished for an invite, but during the early period of Covid, and even now, if I'm honest, I wanted nothing to do with being in an enclosed place with a bunch of people close-talking with one another. Why did they do it? Did anyone catch Covid? And, also, what was the draw to the rather underwhelming-looking house across the way? I soon noticed that people would double park in front of the Party House, pop in for a few minutes before quickly driving off again. I stopped looking after that. These days, the Party House still parties, but that activity is mostly restricted to weekends.



Shout out to the ultimate nosy neighbor Mrs. Kravitz of Bewitched fame.

***

I first learned the word for 'shark' in German from the song, Mackie Messer. An American singer by the name of Bobby Darin popularized the English version, Mack the Knife, back in the late 50s. Darin's was a jazzy, catchy tune and I never thought of how creepy the lyrics were until Mackie Messer hit my radar. Like with Grimms' fairy-tales in English, I think that Mack the Knife was sanitized (is 'disnified' a word?) somewhat for the English speaking public.  

The first stanza in English is a pretty literal translation of the original and makes little sense:

Darin sings this version from the Broadway production of The Three Penny Opera:

Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear,
And he shows them pearly white
Just a jack-knife has Macheath, dear
And he keeps it out of sight.

'Haifisch' translates to: shark-fish. Most folk just say 'Hai' nowadays. Unbelievably, I found a shark tooth while beach combing the other day. My eye was on the look-out for smooth bits of glass, so I was startled to sift through the rocks and find this (great white?) mega-tooth in my mitts.

Shark tooth/Hai-Zahn











 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that shark tooth is quite the find! Mac the Knife -- yes, a low-life thug and killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea "Mack the Knife" had such a backstory. It's amazing how many things we think nothing of were probably kind of scandalous if we looked closer. Kind of like that house across the street...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother had a Siamese cat named Mac the Knife, for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The party house sounds dangerous, not only because of Covid, but I couldn't help but wonder with people coming and going so quickly if drug buys were taking place. Would be nice to know if those using no common sense during Covid got Covid, or passed it on to countless others.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda figure that there might be sales, ahem, happening on premises, too. The Covid issue, especially during lockdown, made me wonder if they believed in the darn virus at all.

      Delete
  5. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Hoping all is well with you. And wondering whether you ought to place a call to the police about the comings and goings at the party house, so they can check it out. Or perhaps they already know about it.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cops have shown up to the house independent of me, so that house is known to them.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...