Thursday, May 4, 2023

Break-ins

Well, not really. We were at a job at the beginning of the week down the peninsula in an upscale town called Atherton. The client was out and doors were locked. When the client can't meet us he usually leaves a key under the mat. Not this time. We tried ringing him and he wasn't picking up. Not wanting to waste the day, we looked for an open window on the property. BINGO! There was one open window on the top floor. A 18' ladder was put up and my brother climbed up and in. 

About an hour later the client arrived home and asked, 'How did you get in?!' He wasn't angry just genuinely curious. 'Well, now I know how burglars can get in', he said to no one in particular. Then he said, 'It's not like there's anything to steal'. As of 2021, the median income in Atherton was in excess of $250,000., so I might beg to differ with that assessment. (I also have two words for the reader: generational wealth. Nuff said.)

***

Back in the 80s my father purchased a set of flatware with three-tined dinner forks. I had never seen eaten with a fork that looked a bit like a trident and was rather enthralled. This set was a  post-divorce purchase replacing a hand-me-down set given to my parents when they first married. The 3-tined fork flatware went with my Dad to his new home with his third wife--my mother's best friend's little sister. [Cue sounds of retching.] 

My father has been dead for 21 years. His widow is approaching her end and has been moved to a convalescent home by her children and the aforementioned sister. Care costs for such a home are extortionate. In order to afford the high monthly fees, it was decided that the home she and my father shared will be rented out. When they purchased the home in 1990, Silicon Valley wasn't the seemingly HUGE deal it is now. So their then rather modest digs are now worth an embarrassing amount of money. My father's widow's family hopes that the rental income will cover the bulk of her current care. 

In order to prep the place for rent, all belongings will be removed next week in order to make way for painters, handymen, and what-have-you. Items of some monetary value will be sold via an estate sale. My sibs and I were invited to go over to the house and take items of Dad's should we wish. We did wish to and went over last weekend. I took the flatware and left my own sort of less exciting four-tined fork flatware in its stead. My bro and I pinched a couple of Dad's old tobacco pipes as well. I think my sister took some cleaning products and that's about it. (She likes to clean...?) There were a few family photos we were keen on as well. Besides that, there was really nothing left in the house connected to Dad. 

The three of us roaming around a big empty house looking for stuff to pilfer sort of made me feel like a criminal. I know we were allowed to be there, but I felt as if we'd broken down the back door and snuck in. It was kind of a weird scene, but I'm glad we were able to retrieve those few things we wanted. 


Baby Dougie aka my pops, ca. 1940. 


12 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings - but am very glad that you could retrieve those few precious items. Can you clone your sister? I really don't like cleaning - but I love it when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am glad that we were able to access the house and retrieve some belongings of Dad's as well.

      If I were minted, then I'd probably hire a cleaner. What a dream!

      Delete
  2. What a pity wealth will be soaked up by care fees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I think the greater pity is that the widow was truly unable to look after herself after my father's death. Had she just been able to access counseling and other support, we would not be where we are today.

      Delete
  3. oh dear, so sorry
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/05/how-to-know-that-you-are-addicted-to-nzu.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice that you could get some things that you wanted. It's interesting how little we really want from our parents, though, isn't it? Just a couple things that hold sentimental value. Most of their stuff is just stuff that we can do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. One doesn't need a U-Haul of things, just a few mementos. I'm grateful to now have my Dad's baby picture.

      Delete
  5. It's good to have something of your dad. I have a little of mine..and a mountain of memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good. I'm glad to have what I have. Memories are really what's important. Glad you have loads of memories of your father. x

      Delete
  6. Baby Dougie was looking pretty cute. Glad you were able to get a few things of your dad. Enjoy them and quit breaking into houses. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he was a cutie-pie. :)
      No more break-ins, promise!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...