Sunday, June 18, 2023

Art

My mom and I paid a visit to her not-so-newly-found half-sister today. She and her husband were gracious and welcoming. It had been some time since we'd been able to see each other in person, so we were all quite glad today's trip down the peninsula worked out. Theirs is a cosy house filled with family photos, striking wall art and wee knick-knacks. I commented on two pieces hanging on the wall and the husband obliged in sharing what he knew of both. One, a print, I was told, had been used to adorn a mathematics textbook in a school district back East. He knew the print was of some import, but could not make out the signature. I asked him if I could snap a picture of the art in order to share it with my hubs as he has good luck in deciphering such things. 

Not five minutes after my having shared the piece replete with signature had my husband found the answer: Roy Lichtenstein. 

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather! I was familiar with Lichtenstein's comic book panel art, for lack of a better description. -the worried-looking blonde with thought bubble overhead type stuff. It never did much for me, if I'm honest. It is, however, as well known as Warhol's Campbell's tomato soup cans. I rang up my aunt's place & left a message on their machine telling them the provenance of the piece and recommended that they have it be insured.

Lichtenstein's illegible signature




12 comments:

  1. And a very light feather at that. Kudos to your husband for solving the mystery.
    I grew up with my half brothers and indeed punched the girl next door when she told me that they were not 'real' brothers. I suppose I was seven or eight at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lichtenstein? Someone had foresight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done by the hubs and quite the find. Any ideas on the value?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did good, eh?! Um, these particular prints don't seem terribly rare and this one isn't numbered, so...
      I dunno. -saw a range of, like, 20-30K.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...