Thursday, August 27, 2026

Aug. 26, 2026

Everything makes me cry these days. I blame being a huge sack of walking hormones and mine are in meno-flux. 

Things that make me cry without fail: 

  • how fucked our country is in so many various ways and I will not illustrate them here because it is such a fucking downer
  • the loss of blogger friends
  • any part of the UK suffering from wildfires right now
  • the loss of long-term clients from the memory care center where I volunteer
  • Dolly Parton's death

***

School is back in session where I live. I can hear the school bell, the kids' voices and see the cars a-clogging the short block on which I live twice-a-day from my living room window. Well, I COULD see them if the window were not covered in a thick sheet of plastic. We are having the facade of the house spruced up. The cheap-o 70s siding has been removed and the old stucco struck off. The aluminum windows, another relic from the 70s, will be replaced with something a bit more modern and energy efficient. Underneath the old stucco is Douglas Fir framing. The boards are thick and rich in color. They've been put up in a diagonal design that almost looks to be a herringbone pattern. It's really rather attractive.

***

To mangle B-rate movie actor Ronnie Reagan's jibe at Senator Cranston: Here we go again! The cranks who want to return car traffic to a two mile stretch of road along the ocean have managed to secure enough signatures to bring this issue back to the voting booth. If anyone cares to read about this latest development affecting the west side of San Francisco, here it is!

I will leave you with a bit of beauty from our garden. The mini passionflower plant has, after four years, finally produced one wee flower and it is spectacular. 








10 comments:

  1. Good to finish on a positive..that is a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered what it's like to live that close to a school. Do the bells get annoying? And what's with the screaming? (I do not know why, but elementary kiddos outside have to scream. Many times for no reason whatsoever.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yard duty person is amplified as is the really odd music used to get the kids moving during recess/outside time, I imagine. It kinda feels like a boot camp fitness class is happening over there...
      The bells are fine; the bratty parents and their poor parking decisions are not.

      Delete
  3. i'm with you on those points, although i'm in NZ our political woes are much the same. I've been going through menopause for about 6 months but started perimenopause when I was 45, hopefully your general elections will come quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I identify with this so much! I, too, cry at everything these days and most of the same reasons you mention (including the hormones in flux). I feel SEEN! lol. Your passionflower bloom is gorgeous. I've been thinking of trying to grow them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you've had a rough week, it happens to the best of us. Politics are aggravating enough without hormones in play. The passionflower is gorgeous, and the Douglas fir sounds particuarly beautiful. I hope your home renovations go smoothly, and you'll be able to see outside again very soon!

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Today

I am unable to comment on posts, at present, and that feels weird. Delighful-looking crab-apple jelly, beautiful Dahlias in NZ...all these l...