Sunday, December 6, 2015

Rosemary salt/DIY gift idea


My personal stash

I've been wanting to make herb salt ever since an old boss whipped up a batch to sell for the Xmas holidays.  And sell they did!  While out on a walk yesterday, I gathered a bunch of rosemary growing 'wild' along the ped-path by my house.  I already had a sack of sea salt in my cupboard for just such an occasion, and, this morning, I hopped online in order to find a decent rosemary salt recipe.  There seem to be as many recipes as there are cooking enthusiasts, so I took bits from one recipe and combined them with another figuring that it couldn't be too hard to create a decent salt.

The bounty and my cappuccino.
The rosemary salt activity went as follows: 
6 tbsp coarse sea salt
6 juniper berries (crushed)
approx. one half cup rosemary (chopped)

Combine salt, juniper berries and rosemary in food processor.  (I used a mortar and pestle to crush the juniper and chopped the rosemary by hand.)

Mix ingredients until the rosemary & juniper are finely integrated with the salt.  Pour contents of mixer on a baking sheet (with sides) and bake for 15 minutes at 225 F.  

Once removed from oven, lightly break up salt with either your fingers or a spatula, then pour salt into either one jar or a few smaller jars, as is your want.  Store jar/s in a cool, dry place. 


Juniper berries
Juniper crushed
Rosemary, juniper and salt combined
The finished product!


My 'foodie' friends should appreciate the effort, or so I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...