Sunday, September 11, 2016

My personal Antiques Roadshow moment.

You can never predict what will sell at the shop. I put out a fake fern yesterday, and it promptly sold. Granted it was only four bucks, but still... I can't abide by plastic plants. If I can't grow anything green, then I won't have anything at all.

A French print of indeterminate origin caught the eye of another shopper. I brought it down off the wall to show her, and, after a quick once-over, it sold. -sort of silly, but it gives me pleasure to see people chuffed about their particular finds. She was happy with her cityscape scene, and I was happy for her.

Not unusually, 'sofa art' goes quite fast, but 'quirky' 20th century prints have been known to languish on the walls for weeks on end. One such print was the one below by Mika Katayama, a Japanese artist born in 1935.

M. Katayama, replete with a little photo glare.
For about a month, I kept eyeing the print, wondering when someone would wise up, and purchase it. It was priced at around fifty dollars which I thought very reasonable, so I wound up buying it myself. The hubs looked up the artist online, and found out that another print in the series is owned (and tucked away in storage) by the de Young Museum. Well, some curator at the museum certainly had good taste, but I'm displaying mine, thanks.

9 comments:

  1. I hear you on plastic plants. Bleah.
    I live your print, but I am a fan of quirky. A big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who collects painted paper and papier maché fruit and vegetables which are really nice things to have around. The cabbage is a favourite. I guess they are early 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked papier maché produce.

      Note: We here say 'paper maché' not sure why we dropped 'papier'.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I'm wondering if you still have this print, and if you'd consider selling it? paulrandpierce@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Paul. I do still have the print. It has pride of place on the wall directly across from where I am sitting. If I had two in the series, by some miracle, then I would sell you one while retaining the other. Alas, I do not.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bea. Thanks for replying. I currently have 4 of this artist's etchings and I am as fond of them as you! The artist, a man, was born in 1935 in Yokohama, Japan. Beyond that, there no additional info on the internet about his life and art. I've contacted several museums and universities and no one is able to give me any more info. So, the artist is somewhat of a mystery. In any case, thank you, and all the best to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...