Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Orchids and Onions

Lest you think I'm really that clever, I should tell you that the name of this blog was lifted directly from a list appearing in my junior high yearbook. This annual list, Orchids and Onions, chronicled all that had transpired the during the school year, good or bad. 

I have really vague memories about what we teeny-boppers found to be both tolerable and intolerable during my one-year stint at this particular school, but I do remember the format of the page. 

It looked a bit like this: 

Orchids to...
Onions to...
Orchids to...
Onions to...


It was repetitive, but it did the trick. 

So, in true junior high fashion, I'll share what's been going on with me here--

Orchids to...passing my Japanese course with flying colors.

Onions to...regularly recurring body pain from my cleaning job.


For a bit of comic relief, below is a picture of me from that time period. I'm at my best friend Kathy's house. 

Note the blurry pictures of rock-n-rollers in the background taken from the pages of Cream and Circus magazines. We liked to rock. :)



12 comments:

  1. That's cute. It's interesting what gets enshrined in school yearbooks. Stuff that someone came up with years ago sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling at your orchid (and your blooming younger self.
    Sigh on the recalcitrant body front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling about...
      Sighing about...

      --is the new jam.

      ;D

      Delete
  3. Well done with the Japanese course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly impressed by the Japanese. Did that include writing and speaking? I could probably master one Kanji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elementary writing (only Kanji learned was for the word 'Japan') and speaking!

      Delete
  5. Orchid..... Our summer has arrived.

    Onion...... My ride-on mower has broken down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemons and lemonade springs to mind...

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...