Monday, July 30, 2018

The Number of the House

I was going to write about how chilly the weather has been of late. Low 50s (12C-ish) and a bit of a breeze makes for brisk walks through the neighborhood. Instead, I'll leave you with a snap I took while out walking yesterday late afternoon.

666...the no. of the house


This house, incidentally, sold in the spring for 1.3 million dollars. I had a peek inside during its open house & it wasn't anything to sneeze at. The home had been remodeled prior to sale. As is the trend currently, walls had been removed to create an open floor plan at the front of the house. Kitchen, living room area and dining area had all merged to become one. The space looked unbearably cramped. (We live a few blocks away in a slightly larger home with all its wall intact and it feels much larger.) Two small bedrooms and one full bath made up the back of the house. Front and back areas were connected by a very short hallway that more sort of resembled a foyer. The downstairs garage, however, was HUGE. So huge, I guess, that the estate agents decided to stage the back of the cement floor garage to resemble an actual living room replete with sofa, arm chair, standing lamps, and coffee table all standing on an Oriental rug. It looked like a living room created for a film set. -not too cosy, to be honest.

Neither the price tag, nor the small square footage (nor the house no.) put off potential buyers. This house sold within a month of it coming on the market.


10 comments:

  1. It is all about location when it comes to real estate. And I guess that open floor plan is popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everywhere in SF is 'the best location', apparently. Factoid: this area was a working class, middle-class area in the 20th cent.

      I hate open floor plan. I don't want to be sitting in the living room area & having a sink full of dishes poking into my peripheral vision.

      Delete
  2. The first thing I would do is to get the pink paint removed! Or does that belong to the neighbouring house?

    It's quite a lot of money, but comparing to London, Tokyo, Amsterdam and other big, densely populated cities it's not even that expensive for what you get.

    Cement floors are not to my taste, but they are very trendy nowadays. Hardly cosy! I suppose such a floor matches the house's appearance.
    I prefer a bit more rustic but our bungalow doesn't look like that at all. However, the inside does :-)

    In our country property prices are even higher than before the recent, huge financial crisis, quite scary.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the red is from the neighboring home. I don't know about your area, but grey is the new house color du jour. It's fine, but hardly warm. There's a small garden about the backside of the house, so that's a bonus. Cement flooring is super trendy here, too.

      I like a more rustic home as well.

      Delete
  3. House prices frequently amaze (and horrify) me. I am not a fan of totally open plan living. Sometimes doors need to be shut. For my sanity. For privacy. And to conceal things I am not ready to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a 4th generation Californian and am amazed at how expensive it now is to live here. We are considering leaving the state, but it is hard to go... generations of family here.
    I have often joked that the popularity of 'open concept' floor plans have coincided with the increasing divorce rate. I like separate rooms... hubby is fond of TV, I am not such a fan... Haha.
    If you are too cold, come out East to the Sierra Foothills. It has been over 100 degrees for weeks! I am ready for another trip to SF to cool off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon! Thank you for posting. Yeah, it's crazy. My family came to SF in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Those people were longshoremen, carpenters, streetcar conductors, etc. No one doing a job like that now could afford to sneeze in the Sierra Foothills, nevermind in SF.

      I'm with you. Leaving the state makes the most sense, but it would also mean leaving family behind.

      I am a huge fan of walls and doors. Let's leave 'em up. :)

      May the fires leave you unscathed!

      Delete
  5. It's bonkers how much you get for so little. We aren't quite there yet in Boise but we heading that way. We have some parts of town where they want $3,000 a month for rent and it's not that great of a house. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3k a month is insane! We pay not much more for our rental & it's insane.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...