Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thirty years gone

My 30 year school reunion was a couple of weeks ago. The organizers decided to hold the event at a dive bar in my hometown. I had made plans to go with another old friend from school. She and I are no longer close, but we keep up with the occasional text message. She was my liaison regarding all things reunion as the whole affair was set up via Facebook. What began with an 'I'll go if you will' ended with her telling me rather last minute that she 'would probably go camping that weekend instead'. I didn't remind her of our having made plans & just decided to go stag. I felt a bit anxious about going solo. I liked the idea of having a security blanket of sorts in the form of a buddy. Well, that buddy bailed and I figured that at worst I'd be bored. The beach I frequent where the whales were is very nearby the bar, so I was prepared (sturdy footwear) for a walk along the ocean should the reunion suck. It would be a short drive home anyway, so what the heck.

As it turned out, there were many friendly faces at the venue when I arrived. I had great chats with a lot of old gal-pals, some nice chats with a few old crushes, and some somewhat awkward small talk with men whom I didn't recognize. Fortunately, someone had had the foresight to bring an old yearbook, so that I could match the name with the current face. There were about thirty of us in attendance. Most of us either still lived in town or drove no more than a couple of hours in order to attend. No one came from out-of-state. We ate catered Mexican food and were eventually blasted out by a hair metal cover band that, by the end of the evening, really killed the conversational mood. Screaming 'I DONT KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME, BUT...' into someone's ear did not make for a cosy time. In the end, though, I'm glad I went. I even secured a coffee date with an old chum from art class. We're to meet next week.

I didn't think to take any photos from the night, so instead I leave you with pics from a recent walk through Bernal Heights and the Mission District.

False front and bottle brush


Potted plants make for a pleasant stroll

Corner house on Coleridge



10 comments:

  1. You are MUCH braver than I am. I didn't enjoy my school days and have avoided all reunions. Glad to hear that you had a pleasant time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very anxious before arriving. I walked around the parking lot a bit before entering the bar. I think my saving grace was knowing that I could escape to the beach anytime I wanted.

      I don't blame you for avoiding the reunions. If I weren't a stone's throw from my hometown, then I would not have gone.

      Delete
  2. I was a wreck when I went to my 20th. I didn't recognize most of them. Never went to another. I'd really like to remember them as they were in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. So many of the men at the 30th were unrecognizable. I was glad that the women, on the whole, faired much, much better.

      Delete
  3. I guess it all has to do with how fondly you remember your classmates. My 20 year was less than 4 miles from my house, and there was no way I was going. They've started talking 30 year (it's next year), and I still have no intention of going.

    Glad you made yours, though. Even if your so-called friend bailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that there would be a few 'friendly faces' at the 30th, so I bit the bullet. It was the same re: the 20th. I hear you about not going, though. You surely missed nothing.

      Delete
  4. Not an old school friend you can rely on, can you? I am glad the reunion wasn't too bad so you didn't need to escape.

    I only had 2 reunions (from different schools) and they were quite nice. Though I am not an avid Facebook user I every now and then see some of my former classmates there, which is nice. A few have spread all over the world, others are still living in my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -glad to know that your reunions were pleasant. FB is a nice way to stay connected to those far and wide. I wasn't keen on the political content that always seems to crop up, so I left. Apropos politics, no one talked about anything more than jobs, kids and grandkids at the reunion & that was refreshing.

      Delete
  5. You're right, good looking architecture. Glad you went to the reunion.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...