Sunday, September 2, 2018

About to bloom & already bloomed

Center: Cruziana waiting to open.

Victoria Cruziana, a water lily extraordinaire from South America, is flourishing at the Conservatory. This lilies are yet to bloom and I hope to be volunteering when they do! 

I don't know if it's clear in the photo, but the base of the unopened flower is spiked much like the underside of the pad itself. The spikes are sharp & meant to deter predators (and staff wanting to move the pads around the pond). 

Also about to bloom is yet another Amorphophallus Titanum (aka Corpse Flower). The last one bloomed in July to the great excitement of both staff and visitors alike. This one is slated to open sometime this Labor Day weekend. I'm volunteering again tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...




She's just about ready.


Some pics from this year's Dahlia Garden---


Team work!



Can you spot the gardener? It's a bit like Where's Waldo...


To give you a bit of perspective, the Dahlia Garden is at the end of a cul-de-sac adjacent to the Conservatory of Flowers. I'm standing at the top of a flight of stairs. 





15 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow.
    Nature is the BEST artist and her palette and galleries are amazing.
    I hope you can take a photo of that lily when it blooms - even the pads are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pads are super cool. The unopened flower intrigues me as well. I'll post if I get shots of the bloom!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! I took scads of photos of the flowers today. They are just so varied.

      Delete
  3. The dahlias are fabulous. They say "summer garden" to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. I was just in Portland, Or. for a short trip & saw many-a house garden filled with dahlias, daisies, fruit trees and rose bushes. Magical.

      Delete
  4. It's amazing the interest in a flower that stinks to high heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if it were fashioned out of art materials. Nutty.

      Delete
  5. Such a magnificent creature, the Corpse Flower, never heard of it or seen one.
    Lovely picture of the water lily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's a titan and found only on the island of Sumatra. The lilies are lovely.

      Delete
  6. Wow. Such impressive flowers. Nature is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bea, you must see so much natural beauty by volunteering at the center. I find myself almost envying you because I no longer drive and so going to parks or conservatories demands that I call someone and see if that person has a similar interest!

    In Minnesota the arboretum was outstanding. Here is western Missouri, there is Powell Garden and it offers blooms from April through October and many final sculptures. My sister-in-law likes to go there. Your posting has prompted me to call her to see if we can plan a trip! Thank you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky. Your comment reminds me of the 70-year-old man from France who was visiting SF & the Conservatory. He'd asked if he could take with him my Ceylon cinnamon leaf (that I use as a prop). He'd said that he had a 94-year-old friend here in town who is no longer ambulatory and he wanted to bring it to her as a wee gift. I obliged.

      I hope you do go on the trip with your SIL to the Powell Garden!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...