Monday, October 15, 2018

The elements of good cooking

Calavera/sugar skull

The foot is slowly coming around, but I'm still spending a good deal of my days lounging on the sofa. Fortunately for me, Netflix is presently adding lots of new content to watch. I spent most of yesterday evening checking out a new series called Salt Fat Acid Heat hosted by a chef called Samin Nosrat. The show is based on Nosrat's well received cookbook of the same name. Each episode corresponds with one of the four elements of good cooking. The Salt episode is shot primarily in Japan. Fat is shot in Italy. Acid takes us down to Mexico. And, finally, Heat sees Samin back on her hometurf of Berkeley.

(Side note: Both she and I worked at the same restaurant in Berkeley for a time back in the mid-2000s. I don't remember much from that experience save for a chance meeting with Bill Niman--then still of Niman Ranch--when he dropped by to chat sausage with the restaurant owner.)

In her show, Samin takes the viewer on a 'salt, fat, acid, heat' journey to experience the elements of good cooking and proper food preparation. Aside from feeling like I should really try more when making a meal, what really struck me when watching the show was Samin's absolute enthusiasm for simple food prepared well. She smiles easily and laughs a lot. During the episode shot in Italy, we see Samin buying a proscuitto sandwich at an open air market. She bites into the sandwich and immediately gushes. She loves it. In that moment, I wanted to be right there with her, eating a proscuitto sandwich squealing, no pun intended, with delight.

PS: The sugar skull sketch above was done while watching the episode shot in Mexico.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't watched a cooking show in a good long while. Funnily enough, the ceramics class I'm covering is working on Calaveras. I didn't know that word until just last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am not a huge cooking show person, but I've been watching EVERYTHING of late. Samin is a breath of fresh air.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that she had a cooking show but, after reading about her book I discovered it at our local Whangarei Library and have borrowed it. Not really long enough but enjoyed what I have read. There is always a "hold" list of people wanting to borrow it hence no renewals. Must keep an eye out for the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, Netflix NZ has her show readily available for you! I'm keen to read her cookbook. I imagine it might be in serious demand at our local libraries as well.

      Delete
  3. Gushing with enthusiasm at the first bite is essential for food people. Conversation about good food is known to enhance the enjoyment. People who talk about bad food during a meal should be banned from restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that Samin was being filmed, I should think it also keeps the viewer engaged. She does look like she's having fun & that enthusiasm is infectious.

      Delete
  4. Hope you’ll be back on your feet soon. Sounds like you’re getting exposure to more TV fare than usually desired. Am amazed at all the cooking shows on TV — occasionally watch — chefs are really enthusiastic as might be expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joared! Yes, so much TV in my life right now.

      I caught an episode of Rachael Ray recently. She's a blast of energy and good humor.

      Delete
  5. Dear Bea, you might be interested in another posting I read today on a Turkish chef and her new cookbook. The posting I read is from a blog I've followed for years. Here's the URL: https://backtobodrum.blogspot.com/2018/10/ozlem-warren-n-bodrum.html Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be! Turkish food is amazing. Thank you, Dee. Bea x

      Delete
  6. I like the sugar skull. I added one to my desk recently that is a planter for something that I hope lasts more than one month. Glad to hear you are healing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much! A sugar skull planter sounds pretty groovy. May your plant live a long and happy life!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...