Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Big move, little movement.

Well we were slated to move back to NYC come December, but, due to my foot issues, that has now been shelved. It's a shame as my husband had a very good job offer. The employer seemed sympathetic & said something akin to 'stay in touch', but I doubt this offer will come around again. I'm a bit sad, but also relieved. I just can't imagine navigating snow and icy streets right now. I've only just gotten my feet back into shoes, albeit slightly larger than normal & orthodically sound ones. The thought of having to put on winter boots makes me cringe.

I was looking forward to ditching the car, to be honest. Before the snarls of traffic turned the Bay Area into a mini Los Angeles, I loved to drive. Now, one has to strategically plan out trips in order to avoid sitting in congestion no longer confined to commute hours. Speaking of driving, I can't engage the clutch pedal as I've lost strength in my left leg, so the car sits gathering dust.

San Francisco really in no way compares to Manhattan, but parts of SF are a pedestrian's delight. I don't happen to live directly in one of those areas, however. I am lucky, though, that I have a few decent bus lines in the vicinity, so I needn't worry about not being able to drive. If I'm not feeling particularly plucky, then I arrange for a Lyft car to pick me up. It's costly, but worth my feeling somewhat independent.

After a month of using the car service, I can say with some authority that Lyft drivers are: predominantly pleasant men who may or may not speak any English. Almost all of them punch the breaks (read: Lyft drivers use automatic transmission cars) & overly rely on satellite navigation systems to get them through town. GPS will often take the drivers on the 'scenic route' which I find mostly funny, but sometimes frustrating if I'm under time constraints.

It's dumping rain right now.

November has not traditionally been a part of our (short) rainy season. However, for the past few years, or so, November has seen a lot of rain. It's certainly welcomed as this rain will help improve air quality around these parts. However, the rain won't necessarily bring total relief to the fire zones up north. Forested areas cleared of vegetation will be particularly vulnerable to mudslides. Firefighters may have to contend with shifting earth and that ain't good.

I leave you with a shot of the Sunset District out by Ocean Beach. This is the view from the coffee shop near where I have physical therapy.




12 comments:

  1. That is a shame about your husband's job but I am sure something will turn up. I am a great believer in fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It was difficult to come to this decision, but we have to think that it was for the best. x

      Delete
  2. Good things come to those who wait, right? Or when another door closes, another door opens? I am sure you and the hubby will be happy with your eventual decision. The wife and I prefer Lyft over Uber. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of doors opening and closing and then some! Life feels easier here, to be honest, and not just cuz of the foot.

      Delete
  3. I believe the Lyft drivers have to use the route the GPS plots out or they get docked.

    Sorry you'll be missing out on that move, but hopefully it was for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting about the docking. Yeah, only one guy straight up asked me as we were pulling away from the house: 'So, I should make a U-turn, yeah?' And I was like: 'Yeah!' (Most drivers would make all these crazy left turns and then a right instead of simply flipping one.)

      Yeah, how could I leave our fiery homestate? ;)

      Delete
  4. How amazing that the drivers HAVE to follow the GPS route. Which is frequently a very inefficient one.
    I hope the delayed move does turn out to be positive, albeit frustrating now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EC. My husband would rather follow his phone, than listen to me actually tell him how to get somewhere. It's weird.

      Delete
  5. As a new reader here I wasn't aware of the issues with your feet, sounds like a nightmare. At least you can get shoes on now.

    I'm also sorry about your husband's job, let's hope something even better comes along soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LL. It's something called capsulitis (in the left foot) and it's been a real drag. -getting better, but dominates my headspace, unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Better to be in SF, I think. My daughter tells me it's next to impossible to buy a manual transmission off the show room floor. Her last was a Subaru or a Saab, some years ago. Then, poof, gone. I gave up manual when I had to buy an oversized van to haul show inventory. When I was retired and shopping for a new used car, I considered a manual VW. I thought on it long, but didn't test drive it. I didn't want to know if my clutch leg still functioned well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about city choice. No snow is certainly easier to navigate.

      We've still manual drives at the dealerships. They are much fewer and less expensive. Traffic here makes driving them less fun, but it's still better than an automatic.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...