Sunday, August 11, 2019

Not-tella (you'll get it)



Perhaps this picture doesn't show the most delectable dish, but I enjoyed licking the spatula clean after making it.

I have always had a massive sweet tooth. And I was always one for dessert, even for breakfast. I mean let's be real, Nutella on toast is sweet enough to qualify as a dessert. In my career as a sweet fiend, I really, really liked Nutella. My favorite thing to eat it with was a spoon. 

I friend of mine has mostly rid processed sugar from her diet. She's constantly on the look-out for recipes that turn out a sweet product, but use some sort of sugar alternative. I'm also keen to cut down on my sugar intake & have already knocked out most processed sugar from my diet as well. This sort of Nutella replacement recipe from her sounded intriguing, so I made it & I'm rather pleased with the result. I would even venture to say that one could add less dates to the mix as I almost find this batch a bit too sweet. Too sweet or no, I'll eat it!

Here's on such recipe she shared with me---

'Nutella'

Ingredients: 
1 cup of roasted hazelnuts
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
12 dates
1 cup of water

Directions:

Blend nuts in mixer until it resembles nutbutter
Add dates & cocoa (I also added a smidgen of vanilla extract)
Add water until desired consistency is achieved
Mix until well blended 

10 comments:

  1. Sadly I have a sweet AND a savoury tooth. Not a fan of Nutella though. If they made it with almonds or cashews...
    I too am slowly weaning myself from processed sugar. I hope it works as well as eliminating added salt did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dates are a wondrous fruit! I can't tell you how super sweet this stuff is. I would like to try making it with almonds sometime.

      Delete
  2. I have a small amount of date syrup on my morning porridge. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a massive sweet tooth but I've never really had Nutella! I have cut out some of the sugar from my diet, but have a way to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutella is a sugary delight, but might be best left alone as I found it a hard habit to break! :)

      Delete
  4. That definitely looks worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you found it, Watson. The unsweetened cocoa is the magic ingredient, and six or eight fewer dates is the topper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a Nutella person, but I do have a sweet tooth. One of these days I'll go after the processed sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a hard habit to break. I occasionally indulge, but as a result of severely cutting back on the sugary stuff, I find that most of it is now 'too sweet' for me!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...