Sunday, January 19, 2020

Pre-march pics--





Waiting at Civic Center to march.
The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a group of super out gay men that has been around since I was a kid. They are divine.
The pink pussy hat returns, fourth year in a row!



Pile of NARAL org. pro-choice t-shirts for us to put on.



Former SF supervisor turned California state senator, Scott Wiener, set to march with our group.



So, I forgot to bring my folding chair to the Women's March. Ooopsie! I met the NARAL group at the appointed time and saw a few faces I recognized from the sign-making event. We all stood around chatting and waiting for the march to commence. I alternated between standing with the group and sitting on a nearby curb. After about 30 minutes, or so, of that routine we were finally slowly marching. The foot was already feeling a bit persnickety, but I stuck it out for another 15 minutes holding my sign up and chanting a few 'hey, hey, ho, ho' type rhymes as I went. Then, I ducked into to the next subway stop along Market St. and made my way home. 

15 comments:

  1. I am sorry you forgot your chair, but very glad you could see the start at least of the March. I hope your foot has forgotten the effort you put in, and is not holding it against you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it sort of is holding a grudge, but I will be fine. :)

      Delete
  2. Ho, ho, hey, hey.........
    Congratulations. Thanks for marching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the part where you said, "We all stood around chatting and waiting for the march to commence."
    I don't know what you chatted about, but it must have been great to speak with others with the same goals.
    And to know you were a part of a group of thousands all over the country.
    Results of anything rarely happen overnight. But the march did happen and will happen again and can't be ignored.

    Put your feet up and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks, my dear. It did feel good to come together with other like-minded folk. And, yes, we will continue to march!

      I pushed it a bit with the foot all darn day, but did, eventually, put the feet up, let the left one cool down & rest.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! You did well, even with your foot issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a look at the NARAL link and it's rather shocking that such organisations need to exist and that marches and rallies are still on the agenda in America. It is a blessing these rallies, however, can have a bit of a carnival atmosphere to them and you've no worry about horrible repercussions for attending, so that's got to be a good thing!

    I haven't read (or seen) The Handmaid's Tale but know enough about it, so I do recognise that if we, even in our comfortable countries where 2020 really does feel like The Future, take our eye off the ball, the 21st century could get all medieval on all of us in the blink of an eye. Par example, there's some legislation in Australia that's in the process of being quietly passed, under the smokescreen of round-the-clock bushfire media coverage, which is the first step in outlawing cash transactions. Hmmm ... could Margaret Atwood be in the credits for this bill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you read their mission statement and think: My goodness, is this really still up for discussion?

      I read Atwood's book back in '89 and was floored. At that time, a woman's right to choose was less publicly contested. As the years have wore on, I have thought more and more how we've begun to resemble the characters in her work.

      Delete
  6. I read today in the Post, the National Archive has hung a huge picture of the womens' march on Washington, but has blurred Trump's name in visible signage. So, God Hates Trump now is God Hates XXXXX.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you couldn't do the whole thing, but totally understandable. I still haven't knit a pink hat, but I totally should. I remember when they were first posited on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...