Friday, October 9, 2020

Eruption

I'd posit that if you didn't play air guitar to Eruption in the 80s, then you weren't a rock-obsessed teenager. ;)

It's rather a bold move to put an instrumental guitar piece just over a minute in length as the second track on a debut album, but Van Halen did just that. 

The result was this: 




With a Cheshire grin and acrobatic moves, Eddie Van Halen was absorbing to watch on stage. He was our generation's Jimi Hendrix. Those of us 'purists' who put Van Halen on hold during the Sammy Hagar era, couldn't deny the musicianship of 'Van Hagar' songs, we just wanted original singer David Lee Roth to at them helm singing the lyrics instead. 

By the time Roth rejoined the band, I'd sort of left VH behind. However, if I catch any of the 'vintage' Van Halen songs from the late 70s/80s on the radio, then I CRANK up the volume & safely play a bit of air guitar behind the wheel. 


18 comments:

  1. I was so sad to hear of his passing. I wasn't a huge fan, just familiar with the stuff they played on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a musical genius. I think even those who didn't necessarily dig VH, they could appreciate Eddie's playing.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a teenager in the eighties at all. But yes, another legend lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was definitely sad when I heard the news. Van Halen played a big role in my musical education as a teenager. I think I wrote about my experience seeing them live. I will have to look for it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me sad I didn't pay attention to those musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only interest Eddie Van Halen ever held for me was that he married my celebrity crush Valerie Bertinelli!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. We lose so many of the people who matter. And retain others. The balance is just WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, posthumously we learn more of the story of the Van Halen family & it's really illuminating. I hadn't really cottoned on to the fact that the Van Halens were rather impoverished immigrants and that Ed and his bro were biracial. It just didn't seem to be talked about much.

      Delete
  7. Yesterday I heard that Van Halen played air guitar to his own music when listening to playbacks in the recording studio. That is still now excuse as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't a rock-obsessed teenager. I only know about Van Halen because of Michael Jackson's "Beat It!" Another sad loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 'Beat It!' riff brought a lot of new fans to MJs music, I like to think. Interestingly, Eddie didn't want any album credit for his work nor did he ask for any payment. He'd composed that bit of music for the track as a favor to Quincy Jones.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...