Monday, July 24, 2023

Mix tapes

In August, my buddy, Mike, is moving to Germany for a few months following the break-up of his 30 year marriage. He'll be bunking with his old host brother whom he met as a high school student abroad in the 80s. I applaud Mike for making such a bold move.* He loves both the language and the culture of Germany, so why the heck the not?

Last month Mike held a garage sale at his soon-to-be-vacated home. It was there that I picked up a portable radio with both CD and cassette player components. I didn't NEED it, but really wanted to be able to play my old cassette tapes that I've been lugging around year after year, move after move since about 1990.




1997: Ani Di Franco, mostly

1996: Mix tape from a French boyfriend who loved Zidane

Circa 1991: Jane's Addiction, Tribe, Pharcyde, Hole 


I don't remember how many mix tapes I made and gave out to people back in the 80s/90s, but I do still have a few mix tapes that I received when I was a twenty-something. Above is the photographic evidence! I haven't listened to the first two tapes shown in ages, but the last mix tape I remembered being great, so have listened to that one fairly recently. The dude who gave me that mix tape was called Miquel and he wore his hair in dreads. I remember that smelled of incense and cocoa butter. 

The box o' tapes in the first shot shows you sort of where I was, musically speaking, at the time. The Olivia Newton John (RIP) cassette is a new purchase. Twenty-something me would have found her music to be a bit silly, tbh. 

*I'll be joining Mike come September in Germany for a wee visit!





12 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, MIX TAPES! I made a lot for myself (compiling fave songs to play in the car) and for girlfriends (romantic song compilations). Those were the days, lol!

    Good luck to your buddy Mike on his adventure in Germany. How nice you'll be visiting him there in September too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't they the greatest?!
      Thanks, too, for wishing Mike luck!

      Delete
  2. I made so many mix tapes back in the days we switched from one format to the next. Mine are gone with all the downsizing. Do hang on to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you can revisit your musical past.
    Good luck to Mike - and have a heap of fun when you join him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My SIL has a German friend as well, although they met when the friend was an exchange student here. She comes to visit SIL every couple years.

    That is quite the collection. My last cassette player began eating tapes, so even though I had a player for a long time, I wasn't able to listen to my old cassettes. I should probably find one. I have a similar box sitting around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun to be able to revisit our musical history. I do hope you snag a cassette player one of these days...
      I think this adage still holds true & your SIL could attest to this fact: Once you have a German friend, you have a friend for a life.

      Delete
  5. Hope everything goes well for your friend Mike over in Germany and enjoy the trip down memory lane with all of those sweet tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found something to play your tapes on. They need a certain amount of play or else they get stiff. It's wonderful to hear old recordings you have loved in the past and not heard for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I agree, it's pretty dang great to get to be able to hear music from 'yesteryear' via cassette tape after so long.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...