Monday, June 3, 2024

Sea lions at Pier 39


It's been years since I've visited Pier 39, a tourist-centered shopping arcade located along the water, here in San Francisco. On a warm afternoon last week, I found myself taking the train down along the Embarcadero in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the sea lions who annually visit the pier. Sometimes there are only a few sea lions out sunbathing, but I got lucky on my visit. There were hoards of them out along the docks. Most looked to be napping, but some were barking, snapping and/or plunging into the water for a quick swim. We human visitors hung out along the pier jostling for position. I found myself stood next to two Lufthansa flight attendants. I, being the German buttinsky that I am, asked them auf Deutsch how to say, 'sea lion', as I had forgotten. One of them said, 'Seehund (direct translation is: sea dog)'. I didn't correct her, but had thought that 'Seehund' meant 'seal' whereas 'Seelöwe' meant 'sea lion'. I've not yet looked it up, so if anyone is keen....

The sea lions were not a visitor draw at Pier 39 when I was a kid. In fact, sea lions really weren't known to hang out in the area until the 1990s. When they did start regularly showing up at the pier, folk considered them to be a stinky, loud nuisance. Initially, steps were taken to force the seal lions to relocate--I can't remember what was done--, but those efforts were unsuccessful. I assume those opposed to the sea lions (probably boaters and fisherman) simply gave in and the marine mammals became a boon to the area. Look around Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf (the adjacent tourist district) these days and you'll see public parking structures, motels, restaurants and such bearing images of the sea lion.  

The sea lions, in my opinion, have pretty good taste. Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf is a fairly scenic area. There's a lovely view of the Golden Gate Bridge and hills of Marin County just beyond were the sea lions lounge. East of the Golden Gate lies Alcatraz Island, now part of the parks department, but at one time was home to a maximum security prison. (Film buffs might remember the Burt Lancaster film, 'Birdman of Alcatraz'.) And the weather in that part of town, compared to other areas of San Francisco, is, on average, often warmer and sunnier. There are worse places to loiter, you know?

I will leave you with just a few of shots of the now famous Pier 39 sea lions--








 

14 comments:

  1. I would very happily go to see them. So ungainly on the land and incredibly graceful (and fast) in the water.
    And Captain Google tells me that sea lion if Seelöwe in German.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation. :) Seals are 'Seehunde'.

      Delete
  2. They certainly take over the joint and make themselves right at home, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see them..making humans realise that we share where we live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we would well to keep that in mind.

      Delete
  4. What a lot, especially in the middle picture. Not a bad life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the last time I was there was in the '80s, so it is news to me that the sea lions have adopted it as their hang out spot. They are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are *the* reason I'd visit Pier 39 these days. :)

      Delete
  6. I was there in the eighties, too. I have no memory of sea lions, though I remember so much of San Francisco well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were to visit now, then you'd see so many changes since the 80s, both for better and for worse!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

'A lotta rocks, y'all.'

The title of this piece comes from a dude who, upon first getting out of his car in the Yosemite Valley Lodge parking lot, looked around and...