Friday, July 3, 2026

Cats and country


My husband took this picture yesterday afternoon and it makes me want to turn it into a 'Happy Summer from the Cats!' card to send out to friends and family. 

The below snap is one of the many pictures I take of Bartie in repose. I send these types of pictures to my sister and her response is ever thus: HE LOOKS LIKE HE'S DEAD!



We're sliding toward 250 years of being a country. I am not excited about this marker, to be honest. The usual BOOM! BOOM! fireworks will stress out the cats, of course, and we're in a shit spot (understatement of the year) as a nation. What's to celebrate? 

I have vague memories of our bicentennial. I was in kindergarten; red, white and blue streamers and liberty bell images figure in my mind when I think back to that time. The line: The spirit of '76! is also coming up for me. -must have been part and parcel of how we decorated store-fronts and the like. Although I think that it was also the tag-line of the gas station chain called '76. 

In other news, an active-duty serviceman recently protested on the Capitol steps against our current Oval Office occupier and his vice-president. He was then arrested by Capitol police. According to reports, Major Watkin would be the first-ever active-duty commissioned officer in the military to publicly protest for the impeachment, conviction and removal of Trump and Vance.



12 comments:

  1. Your cats have such a beautiful garden in which to lounge about! Bravo to Major Watkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cats are living the life of Riley!
      And, yes, BRAVO, to the Major!

      Delete
  2. I was the same age in '76, and I have zero memories of the bicentennial. May Major Watkin be the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting hearing comments on the radio about the celebrations in '76..also in a heatwave although not so severe! They remembered more local celebrations, not a top down imposed thing.
    Well done that man. Interesting that he was released without charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a strategic reason for his release. However, Watkin will have to face a military court for his action at the Capitol.

      Delete
  4. The first photo would make a beautiful card with the cats and your plants! I share your lack of enthusiasm for the day given the hot mess the country is in with the orange turd in our White House. I felt that way last year and thought maybe it would get better.....instead it's gotten worse. 250 years should be a special thing, but he's ruined it for so many. BRAVO Major Watkin!! He showed courage and spine and congress has none. They could and should stop trump, but they haven't.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watkin is a remarkable person.
      I'll be working today, so, hopefully, it will feel like any other day. I'm keen to just get through it. We will likely, sadly, have to give the kitties gabapentin in order to keep them calm. Our neighbors LOVE lighting off fireworks.

      Delete
  5. Your photo is card worthy! I like how the cat behind the gate looks perturbed that he's not out and about. I remember 1976 being a big deal celebration, I was 10. Hope the booms were not excessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcel excels at looking perturbed! :)
      The fireworks cut out just past midnight, fortunately. There were a few more last evening that sent the kitties under the bed again, alas.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet memory of the Bicentennial, Bea! You are totally right about the "Spirit of '76" gas station chain—that logo was absolutely everywhere back then with the orange ball and the blue font. It really is wild comparing the childhood nostalgia of 1976 to how heavy everything feels leading up to the 250th. I think turning that picture of Bartie into a card is a brilliant idea, though—even if your sister needs a disclaimer that he's just napping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the big, orange ball with blue font was seemingly ubiquitous.
      The nostalgia, the bicentennial-themed quarter--was Susan B. issued then or a tad later?--the missile pop popsicle with red, white and blue stripes...all of that was fun for us kids, if I recall rightly.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Late July

It's been a series of highs and lows of late, both literally and figuratively. There was my exceedingly warm birthday in the middle of J...