Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A taste of Italy via the Schwabenland

My dear friend, Mrs. Rempfer, a Stuttgarterin who had a passion for Italy, was given this recipe for cantuccini by an Italian friend of hers some years ago. During one of my visits to see Mrs. Rempfer, she and I made cantuccini together. I thought they were incredibly good, so she graciously gave me the recipe. In the intervening years, I think I've made them a good dozen times, or so. If you're keen, here's the recipe:



Cantuccini


300g flour
150-180g vanilla sugar
1tsp. baking powder
150g nuts (Many folk seem to prefer almonds, but I'm a fan of hazelnuts.)
2-3 egg whites
30g butter

Mix together all dry ingredients in bowl (minus the nuts), then add the butter.  I tend to use my fingers to integrate butter as best I can before adding the egg whites.  Use a spoon to mix together, then add the nuts.  By this point I've set the spoon aside and am again using my fingers to try and distribute nuts throughout the dough.

A nice accompaniment to coffee.  Bene!

Divide dough in half and roll out with one's hands into two, long portions approx. 2cm thick.  Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes at 200C.  Remove from oven and let cool a bit before slicing into 1-2cm pieces.  I prefer a slightly 'chunkier' biscuit, but it's really up to the individual.  Return cantuccini to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

8 comments:

  1. They do look good. I would go the almond route though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've never made cantuccini, shame on me, so I shall give these a whirl. Sounds a doddle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice she gave you the recipe. It's even nicer that you have made them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a nice reminder of time spent with Mrs. R to be able to make them where ever I happened to live!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part I

How many straws does one have to grab before getting to the last one? I was recently trained, and I use that word lightly, to become a posta...