Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Two cents' worth and more

It would seem that Harvard does not admit racist shits. If I were to have a child attending Harvard, then I’d want him or her to have as few classmates as possible with a history of repeatedly saying “nigger”. Harvard's decision to rescind offers of admission from such persons should not be considered controversial. For those of you interested in who was denied admission to Harvard, here is a link detailing what occurred---Kyle Kashuv.

This month I began attending an SF rec & rehab pool. One needs a doctor's note in order to access the facility. Most of the attendees are older retirees and many are recuperating from surgery. The beauty of the pool is that it is heated to a comfortable 92F/33C. It feels as if one were swimming in a giant bathtub. I attended a 30 minute water exercise class at the pool today. It wasn't too easy, fortunately, and the music didn't suck--lots of Paul Simon and Cat Stevens. I shall return. 

The hubs is between jobs (he has a new gig, but starts next week), so we've been tidying up the house together the past few days. He found my Swiss driving license tucked away in a pile of papers. Although I will likely not have need for it again, I do like having this driving license as it NEVER expires. I can hear you all saying: Say what now?! Yes, and I paid about 100 CHF for the pleasure. 

Note that the DL describes itself in the four, official languages of CH (German, French, Italian and Romansch) with English sort of being the unofficial fifth language. 



17 comments:

  1. There is so much I want to ask you about this post that I think I will request a re-write. I mean, a rehab pool? What are you getting over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dealing with a pain syndrome of the left foot brought on by an injury. Walking has been a challenge. Muscles have atrophied a bit & I am keen to regain strength.

      I am too lazy to rewrite this post, but will entertain any and all questions.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see. Good luck with that. Persistent pain is so wearing. I don't blame you for not re-writing. I wouldn't!

      Delete
  2. There are some states where the license expires when one turns 70, or something like that. Or so I've heard. Hopefully someone can confirm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I did not know that. What do we have here? A five year max?

      Delete
  3. That article about Kyle Kashuv's rescinding was lovely. On his level, turn about is fair play. In this big world, good for the admissions crew. I'm sure somewhere in Harvard's school creed there may even be a statement placing bigots beyond the pale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems like a very misguided young person and his MAGA support is confounding. If he didn't hold such repugnant political beliefs and yet managed to use racially insensitive language, then I would still like to see Harvard rescind its offer of admission to him.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for Harvard.l I do hope they don't bow to pressure.
    We had a nearby rehab pool (I couldn't use it because it is too warm for me). Sadly our money grubbing guverment has closed it. I hope the public outcry forces them to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pool makes loads of money as it is the only rehab public pool in a 40 mile radius. I wonder why your local gov. would close yours? Super bummer for folk in need.

      Delete
  5. Paul Simon and Cat Stevens -- two old faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was having Harold & Maude flashbacks. :)

      Delete
  6. In the UK your licence has to be renewed when you are 70. Some people who have managed to hang on to their paper driving licence for decades feel annoyed that it has to be exchanged for a plastic photocard. At least they don't charge you. Younger people have to pay to renew theirs every 10 years. Government job-creation rip-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my home state, one has to renew every five years. Unlike in the UK, it's VERY easy to obtain a license here, but the darn thing does have a shorter shelf life.

      Delete
  7. 100 CHF well spent! I know a French girl here who tells that the same deal applies in France. Nice to know you can officially flash a photograph of your goodly self taken in your youthful glory, well into your dotage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of having a driving licence that never ages, unlike me. We have to update ours every 10 years with a new photo, a reminder of how much I've aged in that time period is depressing.

    Btw I forgot to say, you recognised David Walliams in the photo next to Alan Carr. I will give to you a mention on my blog soon, I forgot. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, too, as it eliminates the repeated hassle of having to deal with the DMV.

      I have a pretty good eye for people I've seen before. I spotted some chick off of the TV at my local cafe yesterday. She looked a bit like a bag-lady and went almost entirely undetected.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...