Thursday, December 29, 2022

Le Remake

Let the Right One In                             Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo                     The Magnificent Seven       

Alfie                                                             Get Carter

The Italian Job                                             Wings of Desire/City of Angels

Miracle on 34th Street                  It's a Wonderful Life/It Happened One Christmas


I don't think I've ever met a film remake I've really liked save for the 70s film 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers' starring Donald Sutherland. So I'm fairly confident that I won't like the new Tom Hanks vehicle, 'A Man Called Otto' that has recently arrived in theatres. It's based on the Swedish film (which is based on the book) of nearly the same name: A Man Called Ove. I should note that 'Otto' is not really a name one sees here in the US very often, so I wonder why the remake couldn't have just be called, 'A Man Called Oscar' or some such. 

Most remakes of film and TV shows--although I have met a few TV show remakes that do past muster--are poor substitutions for the original work. And I should think that some folk who have watched all four iterations of 'A Star is Born' might tend to agree with me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Let's be honest, it's hard to absorb oneself in a film about a misanthrope when the actor playing said misanthrope is so well known. It's like watching a film about Tom Hanks if he were a world-class grouch. 



And if someone dare try to remake Schitt's Creek, I will lose it. 



16 comments:

  1. I agree that remakes rarely improve on the originals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to rack my brain for another good remake besides Sutherland's Bodysnatchers, but came up short.

      Delete
  2. Yes, at present in Britain there is a remake of the Darling Buds of May....awful!
    The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy... originally written for radio, then out as a book...was changed far too much when it was produced for the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I recall fans of The Hitch-hickers Guide really NOT liking the film adaptation for that reason.

      Delete
  3. I really don't do movies, particularly movies made from books. And I LOVED the book of A man called Ove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that the book is really good. I did enjoy the film, for sure.

      Delete
    2. The book is better than the film.

      Delete
  4. Remakes are usually the result of a cowardly bunch of producers who are too scared to try anything new for fear of losing money. They almost always stink but - sadly - usually make money. Everything is dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wenders' Himmel Ueber Berlin/Wings of Desire is a great example of what you're talking about. Meg Ryan and Nick Cage made a huge stinker of a film with the American remake.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of remakes when they do something to reimagine the story. Gender flipping or updating or such. But yeah, rarely as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those little tweaks can really make it a more interesting film.

      Delete
  6. Like you, I have never seen a remake that even comes close to the quality of the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that 'Heaven Can Wait' with Warren Beatty and Dyan Cannon was a hoot. (Another rare exception...)

      Delete
    2. Hm, time to confess I am a bookworm, not a cineast. But as far as the few films I have seen are concerned,my opinion stands.

      Delete
  7. Well this explains a lot. I had seen the "Otto" trailer but had no idea about the background of it being based on that book. It definitely isn't on my must-see list. Happy New Year, Bea!

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...