Saturday, January 7, 2023

Heavy rains

On Thursday, I visited my hometown beach after the latest heavy downpour. It was low tide, but probably the highest low tide I have ever seen. As I approached the sand, I could see a massive swirl of shore birds in the sky and a crowd of them standing on the sand. The recent storms had unmoored loads of shellfish--mussels and clams, primarily--and the birds were feasting in earnest. Intact shellfish in beak, I could see gulls smacking their take against the rocks. Crabs and sea stars had also washed up on the sand. I could see some had been partially noshed on by the gulls. One sea star appeared to have been left untouched, so I brought it to the rocky area on the north end of the beach and nestled the sea star sort of under a few small rocks. Maybe he escaped the keen eyes of the shore birds? Who knows. 


Expectant birds.

Walking to the north end of Linda Mar toward the congregation of birds.

Strandline full of plastic bits.


Massive lump of roe washed up on shore.

When I was a child in the 70s & 80s, it was normal that we lost power once or twice every year during rainy season. We always had candles on hand for just such an emergency. Along with the heavy rains came mudslides. During the massive storms of 1982, I think it was,  I don't know how I learned this--I think it was common information at school--at least one family suffered fatalities as a result of their house having been hit by a mudslide. The slides occurred in the back of the valley, Linda Mar district, where the landscape is hilly. We lived in the front of the valley, in the 'flat lands'.  

I felt glad that we lived in the flat lands until the mega floods of the early 80s kicked off. Our house, fortunately, was up a slight incline about a mile from shore. Kids I went to school with who lived in the neighborhood across HWY 1 from the beach experienced severe flooding. These sea-level homes became water-logged. Many residents had to flee their homes in canoes. Some folks sought refuge at the local high school. The neighboring shopping center was partially submerged underwater as well. I don't recall what the clean-up for the commercial properties entailed, but I do know that some of the homes of my friends still smelled of mildew years later. 



12 comments:

  1. The plastic on the beaches is really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredibly sad and now a very common sight.

      Delete
  2. Sigh at the plastics. Ugly, and dangerous to so much of the wildlife. And, as you say, all too common.
    Lots of Australia has flooded (sometimes repeatedly) over recent months. The repairs will take a long, long time and the expense will be huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The litter is now so commonplace on Linda Mar beach as to be almost unremarkable. I hate it.

      Delete
  3. That sea star is probably still trying to get the rock off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those storms sound scary. And the latest ones, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been an interesting new year, for sure! And, thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. That clump of roe is amazing! I should have imagined it was a chunk of foam without closer inspection. Growing up, we used to pounce on cashew-shaped lumps of jelly we called shark's eggs. Our "scientific observations" required splitting them open slightly to stick your finger in and determine whether they were "alive" or not by the moisture content, in order to chuck them back into the sea (or not) so the baby shark might get a chance at life (or not, if you were of the Jaws generation). I'm not sure what these jellies were really.

    Life by the sea really has its dark side, and sea-borne rubbish is only the latest blight to the idealised life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I've never seen such a thing on the beach before. The roe were fairly firmly packed together and felt rather dry to the touch. -like day-old couscous.
      I really dig your jelly story. Kids do the 'darndest' things, eh?

      Delete
  6. I saw some photos today and it is bonkers over there. Stay safe, Bea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. It's been pretty nuts. I've read that the rains will let up this coming week.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part III

I want to preface this post by saying that I am not of the 'every body receives a gold star for participation' generation. I don'...