Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A broad abroad

I flew back from So. Germany on Thursday (and, boy, are my arms tired! Har-har). All stale jokes aside, I started coming down with a cold the day before my flight and had to spend the nearly 11 hour journey with a partially plugged up nose and pounding headache. It was not ideal, to say the least. Now home, it's been a real humdinger having to contend with both cold symptoms and jet-lag--am I falling asleep midday from the cold or the time change? (I've also stopped and started this blog entry since Friday innumerable times. -usually too befuddled by illness to continue writing in one go.)

On this trip, the first Euro-visit since 2016, I stayed in places I've been visiting since the 90s: Tübingen, Stuttgart and Konstanz; and traveled to one new city: Nürnberg. The pandemic brought changes to DE as it has here and everywhere else, of course, but I suppose I hadn't expected the changes to be so stark. 

Some of the things that jumped out:

*Arbeitsverstärkung gesucht/Wir suchen Dich! Help-wanted signs abounded both in Stuttgart and Nürnberg. A dearth of available workers has meant that there seemed to be many employed in the service industry who didn't speak any German and were being communicated with by other staff members (and some guests) in English. 

*loads of litter in the streets I've experienced DE over my visiting the past 25 plus years as a much tidier place than the California Bay Area, where I live, save for this last visit. Bins weren't full and the pedestrian zones were awash in discarded fast food packaging, bottles and cans. It was a weird sight.

*men collecting plastic bottles in heavily trafficked areas This one super sucked to see. The men out with bags are recycling were young and old, native and not. Bringing bottles, both glass and plastic, back to the store in order to collect the deposit is still common practice in Germany, so why so many bottles aren't being returned is a bit of a wonder.

These new wrinkles aside, it was a pleasure to return to So. Germany after what felt like so long. Halfway through the trip, I met up with my buddy, Mike, a fellow Californian and German nerd to do some traveling together. We purchased the somewhat newly introduced Deutschland Ticket and hit the road. At 49 euros a month, one is able to travel with this ticket on any form of transport sans the IC and ICE trains across the whole of the country. I'm very glad we took advantage of this offer as it saved us both the headache of constantly having to purchase travel tickets at each new leg of the journey and a wad of cash. 

Some pictures from the trip for your viewing pleasure:

2023 or 1972? Groovy U-Bahn stop, Nürnberg

Dürer squirrel, Westfriedhof, Nürnberg


Chagall stained glass and dude, Zürich daytrip, Fraumünster

Flower balls in Konstanz, Altstadt





15 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your holiday, but I hope your cold is gone soon. Wow, what a tail on that Durer squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cold AND jet-lag seems totally unfair.
    Love those flower balls and am glad that you had a good time despite some less than positive changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your and other bloggers' pictures of Germany, it still seems to be a lot less grubby than England where cuts to public services have gone too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't document the icky bits, to be honest. I'm sorry to read of the grubbiness you all are now experiencing as a result in service cuts.

      Delete
  4. The Deutschland ticket sounds brilliant.
    I am very surprised by you seeing litter. Not been since the late 60s, but things were spotless then, wherever you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, was very surprised about the litter. It felt jarring, to say the least. There was a uptick in police patrols in the ped area of Stuttgart as well. -never seen that before either. I asked local friends about it, but didn't get a clear answer as to why.

      Delete
    2. And, yes, the Deutschland ticket rocks!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you caught a cold, but it sounds like otherwise it was nice to get out of the country. Strange the changes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the pandemic wrought so much that will be with us for the duration.

      Delete
  6. Sad to learn staff shortages are world wide, and especially that American slovenly habits are emigrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Yet cops in vans were patrolling very regularly on the nights I happened in to be out and about in downtown Stuttgart. -something I had never witnessed before. No shortages there, I guess.

      Delete
  7. How great to be revisiting old stomping grounds again! Germany is such an unexplored territory for me and this and your purty pictures is another reminder it needs fixing :)

    Bummer about your cold. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's a great place to visit. I'm still ill, for crying out loud. Thank you for the well-wishes.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...