Sunday, December 31, 2023

Unexpected delight

A few days before Christmas, I had arrived home to find a wee present left on my doorstep. There was no tag; I couldn't think who it might have been from. Curious, I opened it as soon as I stepped in the house. It was a succulent. Well, sort of... :D


Secret Santa Succulent!

I nearly cried when I saw it. What a thoughtful gift. I can't say why I was given this little beauty, but I have thought about it and think that it may have something to do with the fact that our house is the only one on the block that doesn't have a bare cement patch out front in lieu of a bit of greenery. When these homes were built just after the Second World War, there were lawns and rose bushes adorning the front of the properties. At some point in the 1960s, at whose urging I don't know, the trend out in our neck of the woods was to replace the front gardens with concrete. The end result is increased parking capacity, but it's awfully ugly to look at, in my opinion, not terribly environmentally friendly. Our front patch is also a 'grey garden', if you will, but I've taken to filling the area as best I can with succulents, Fuchsia, salvia, and such. I've even hauled out some patio furniture from the back of the house and created a sort of barrier between our property and the pavement with a bit of driftwood from Ocean Beach and other bits of wood scavenged from Golden Gate Park. It's nothing fancy, but it's really nice to sit out there as the house is southern-facing and the sun drapes the front of the house seemingly year round. At some point, money permitting, we hope to remove the concrete and plant a native garden out front. But for now, our makeshift garden will do!

I wish I could thank the person who gifted me this special 'succulent'. I put up a large 'Thank you, Santa!' sign in the window replete with a drawing of my new, knitted pal. Maybe they've seen it?



16 comments:

  1. That's a nice job; well done. A thank you note cannot possibly go amiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that person so clever?! You could have knocked me over with a feather, I tell you...

      Delete
  2. What a truly lovely gift. It must have warmed your heart - and continue to do so. I love that you thought of a thank you note too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just? Such talent and creativity.

      Delete
  3. A lovely gift, appreciating what you do

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have a lawn and garden, but turning the front gardens into parting spaces seems to be the trend where we are now. One along the road has space for 4 large cars. I am glad we do not have to look at it. Some park their cars with the rear over the footpath, which is a problem for those walking with prams or the disabled. Across from us they have parking for 3 cars, but can't be arsed to use it so park in the road anyway making it tricky for us to get on and off our drive. Too many 4-car families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. What you're describing I see here regularly.

      Delete
  5. Someone was thinking of you! I'm sure the crafter will have seen your window sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cute. Knitted or crocheted? I can't be sure, but it looks crocheted to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nifty? I'll go with your assessment of crocheted. :)

      Delete
  7. Quite the nicest cacti that I've seen - it doesn't have nasty bits that stick in you! Knitted body, crocheted flower? I think the mouse approves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would defer to those who work with yarn...knitted body and crocheted flower sounds good to me. :)
      The mouse probably does approve!

      Delete
  8. How cute. I agree it's a shame you don't know who gifted you; but how sweet of them to do so.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The absolute sweetest. I was very touched.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...