Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chicken on Wheels

-got my eyes on the road, my hands upon the chicken.

After five months of living in Zurich I've finally screwed up the courage to ask the Gueggeli (dialect for 'chicken') dude parked in the supermarket parking lot down the road about his wares.  I wasn't hungry, unfortunately, as I think that buying a bird would have aided in my questioning the seller.  As it was, I think that I may have been a vaguely welcomed distraction for him during a slow period during the day.  Still he met my 'I'm foreign...tell me about your chicken' type query with a bit of a wary eye.   I'm glad that I did approach him as I learned a thing, or two, about the gueggeli biz.

Fleet of Gueggeli

Although the image on the signage and the giant-sized bird on the roof of the truck would have one think that it's only about poultry, I found out today that one can buy rotisserie ham hocks from the gueggeli mobile shop as well.  I also noticed that one is able to buy not only a regular-sized bird, but also what would appear to be a game hen-sized bird.  Half-portions are also available.  The hocks, fatty and ample, are bought per piece; there is no halving them.  Prepared salads and 'buerli', the ubiquitous bread rolls sold at bakeries and doled out with sausages in the region, are also on offer.  I can't imagine buying a half portion of chicken and a buerli and calling it lunch.  I suppose that one is really buying something that one would then take home to eat.  Rotisserie bird on-the-go doesn't seem at all that appetizing to me, never mind it being a bit finger-licking messy.  But what do I know?  I'm not Swiss.


10 comments:

  1. "I'm foreign" is not really a good reason XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, it's usually my lead-in to questioning folk when I don't know what in the heck is going on! 'I'm foreign and curious...'

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the 'snicker-snort', whoever you are! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love the giant plastic chickens - at least you can't miss what they're selling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I see men taking half-portions for lunch, and I am always tempted to grab one home. I did buy one whole Güggeli once, in the past few years here. What a treat!
    And they do have wet tissues to wipe away the icky fingers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! They offer those little 'wet wipes' for your fingers. I'm leaning on purchasing a ham hock...

      Delete
    2. 'leaning toward...' that is. :)

      Delete
  5. The pictures of the trucks are pretty funny! Have some chicken, I'm sure it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have some chicken and ham hocks one of these days, yes!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach filled with art materials. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'ma...