Monday, July 16, 2018

Spice is nice.

Today was a good day volunteering at the Conservatory. We've another corpse flower just about to bloom. It's a sibling of last year's amorphophallus titanum, which bloomed around this time last year as well.

During the build-up to the bloom phase, the titan can grow between approx. 1-3 inches a day. I find that remarkable. This titan's bloom date is projected to be sometime midweek. 


As of today, I think she stood around 2' tall.

I also discovered a couple of really interestingly scented orchids during my shift today.

The orchids in the photo below give off a lovely, cinnamon scent. When visitors asked me what I found interesting in this particular gallery, I took them over to the 'spice orchid', as I referred to it. (I couldn't find a name spike for it, so there you go.)




These sort of weeping willow-looking blooms smelled vaguely of lemon-scented cleaning agent. -not really all that pleasant, to be honest!




But back to cinnamon--I had some really fun interactions with children regarding the cinnamon tree we have at the Conservatory. Well, we have two, actually, but the Ceylon (Sri Lankan) cinnamon plant yields a much larger leaf than that of its SE Asian counterpart & its scent is also more robust. The gardener was kind enough to cut down for me a rather sizable branch of the Ceylon cinnamon. I didn't tell the children in advance from which plant the branch came. I then invited them to choose the leaf they wanted before plucking one off and handing it over. They were told to scratch a bit of the stem with their fingernail before smelling the stem. 

'What does that smell like?' 

'Cinnamon!!!'

One little girl, aged 6, then demonstrated everything I had shared with her to a friend who had arrived a bit later. She'd remembered virtually everything I had told her about the cinnamon & had a great delivery. I was duly impressed. Her mother whispered to me that her daughter suffers from stage fright. I told her, that I thought her daughter was sort of on stage right now! She agreed.


Ceylon Cinnamon leaf, about 6'' in length

12 comments:

  1. How sweet. I was going to order a cinnamon plant online, but decided not to as I'd probably kill it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, though, if your climate matches the lowland tropics in any way. If so, then it might be a go! :D

      Delete
  2. I never realised that there was more than one cinnamon plant. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really didn't either. I think what we here find in the store is usually cinnamon from Vietnam.

      Delete
  3. Cinnamon is such an evocative smell. It triggers comfort for me, always.
    When I was fifteen I grew 8 inches in a year - which I always thought was impressive. I have been put to shame by a corpse flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!

      You would love the smell of the Ceylon leaf stem. It's really a robust scent.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely spiked orchid.
    I never actually realised where cinnamon comes from / how it is grown. Trees, shrubs or plants. Shame shame.
    Nevertheless it's one of my favourite spices :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also of note: the bark is removed & dried in preparation for being used as a spice!

      Delete
  5. How great to have impressed a child, so. I have a scrubby little orchid presented me by a granddaughter, ten years ago. When it grows a fifth leaf, a bottom one dies, so only four remain. It blooms every year. It must like me and/or appreciate its home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic that your orchid plant is still kicking. I think the child rather impressed me, to be honest. :)

      Delete
  6. It's always a little disconcerting to hear someone else repeat your words, isn't it? But kind of fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe that she'd paid such good attention! It was a trip.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...