Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Bike Man

The 'bike man' of downtown Walnut Creek is my cousin. I re-met him about ten years ago in the city where he's been living most of his life. He had a ten-speed bicycle and was decked out in bike shorts and a tank top. His water bottle was filled with booze. He told us that he was 'nickin' like a chicken' and needed a cigarette. Almost fifty years of age, he spoke the slang-laden language of a punky teenager. We offered him clothes and food, but he didn't want them. He told us that he'd been living in an encampment (I am told that it was recently destroyed by arson) in town for some years up to that point, and receiving help both from friends in the area and a local shelter

At the 'shelter' where I volunteered in SE London in 2011-2012, I saw and met a lot of people from Eastern Europe, and, of course, from all over the UK. Clients from Western Europe were usually pretty scarce. There was a pensioner originally from Greece, an old punk rocker from Germany, and a young man of African origin who used to live in France who I saw on a somewhat regular basis. The Greek man was lonely and on a fixed income, so our 1.50 hot lunches in a room full of people, telly blaring in the background, really hit the spot for him. The punk rock chick was 50 going on 20 with a safety pin through her ear, shit tats, patchy hair, and a 'fuck it' attitude, so I don't think that she gave a toss she was living somewhat hand-to-mouth. And the young man from France struggled with mental illness, unfortunately. Someone from the centre once found him wandering around the nearby high street without any shoes. Whatever he had been wearing had 'hurt his feet', so he ditched them and went sans footwear.  

I remember speaking with a man in his late 20s from Spain. His story seemed to be like a sort of the 'canary in the coal mine' moment. He was able-bodied, but had been without work for some time. He hailed from Mallorca, a major tourist area. The fact that he couldn't find work back home sort of startled me. The severe downturns in the economy haven't seemed to put a dent in the waves of tourists that visit London, so it's hard to believe that there was NO work in Mallorca especially for a guy who grew up there. As far as I know, Mallorca is still one of most booming tourist meccas in the world. I didn't really want to pry and his English wasn't all that good, so I didn't ask him why he left his island for a new one. Sometimes I wonder how they are all faring. I certainly wonder if my cousin is still alive and biking around his hometown. 

14 comments:

  1. I have a cousin who I simply described as subject to the vapors. Actually, I have a son in law like that, too. Anyway, my cousin and his wife were described to me once as living like "birds of the field". I believe they are now safely ensconced in their church retirement home, which is a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parental loss coupled with following The Dead and many LSD trips led this cousin, in part, to where he is today.

      Delete
  2. I support one of the local centres for the homeless. Staff say that too many people are one bad decision/one unfortunate accident away from life on the streets. Which some survive much better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having met many of them teetering on the brink, I'd say that you are correct.

      Delete
  3. It can be rather easy to fall through the cracks. I hope your cousin is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all recent (and future) cuts in health care, especially in mental care, there will be many more people living on the streets and dependent on shelters shortly. Even in the relatively wealthy Netherlands where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ivy. As someone who has only visited the Netherlands as a tourist, I am ignorant to how the social net is eroding there as well. It's an upsetting subject, but one that needs to be dealt with.

      Delete
  5. My brother is homeless after a terrible life. My sister and I will not help him anymore as he keeps repeating same mistakes and we're just done. It is sad/heartbreaking, but what can you do for a 49 year old? It hurts me to even think about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how hard that must be for you & your sis. x

      Delete
  6. Hope you can reconnect with your cousin again soon. I enjoyed reading about your 'shelter' adventures. I imagine even more stories that you can share. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many characters that hung out at the Centre. Frank, a guy who lived in the area, visited regularly for the social aspect of it, but was not in dire straits at all. He could never remember my name and referred to me as 'here', but it came out as 'ere, cuz he was from 'Saff' (south) London & that's how they do. :)

      Delete
  7. Some people we met in the past do stick in the mind, you seem to have come across a few colourful characters in your time. I find that a good thing, too many 'beige and greige’ folk clutter up the world. I spent many years in London, it’s a great place to meet extraordinary fellow citizens.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...