Thursday, September 27, 2018

First Thursday in the Pearl

On my last night in Portland, I walked over to the Pearl District to check out their First Thursday event. I imagine First Thursday has evolved over the years into an Art Gallery Open House/Street Festival hybrid as the event felt like a big ole street party. A clog of folk were jammed into one city block drinking, eating food truck fare, and listening to live music. I didn't enter the fray--too many bodies.

The adjacent block was much quieter and not at all packed out. It was there that I saw some art. As I was fatigued from the massive walk I had taken that day, I only had energy to visit two galleries. The first gallery was filled with sort of very interesting modernist, glass sculpture. I enjoyed the space and how the art was arranged, but found it a little perplexing that so many folk were jamming around taking pictures of the glass in order to upload it to Instagram accounts and the like. -a sort of meta experience that documents what one did without being in the experience of what one is doing, if that makes sense. I'm no aficionado, but here's me standing at a piece trying to really take it in while having to contend with mobile phone users jockeying for best position for a shot. I wound up leaving the gallery in fairly short order.

The second gallery, however, was an unexpected delight. The somewhat newly opened Elisabeth Jones Art Center concerns itself, if I have understood their mission statement, with art focusing on the preservation of our natural world. Sept. 6th marked only their third First Thursday event.

In one portion of the gallery, I saw art pieces relating to marine life--sharks in particular. Another area of the gallery concerned itself with art pertaining to the polar ice caps. The massive mobile below is made up entirely of rather small fish shaped from wire. Each fish is marked with a piece of colored paper. I really dug it.



In another area, paintings depicting the Pacific Northwest coastline were on display. Here's an awkward shot of a small portion of the coastal art wall--


 

I spoke with a few artists/docents on-hand. They were lovely and engaging. We talked about the gallery's focus, what the art was meant to convey, and how the pieces made us feel.

The shark/marine art wall (I neglected to take photos) touched on global shark hunting for shark fin soup popular in Vietnam and China. What I learned by talking to the docents is that traditionally shark fin soup had been reserved for special occasions and has always been somewhat prohibitively expensive to buy. Currently, the demand for shark fin is at an all-time high as wealth has risen in East Asia. As a result of over-fishing, one-third of shark species are now endangered.

Full disclosure: at a New Year's dinner some 15 years ago, I ate shark fin soup. My friend's parents were visiting from Hong Kong for the occasion. As I didn't want to appear rude, I ate the soup, but I'll tell you that the fin itself was bland in flavor. I didn't see the appeal.


8 comments:

  1. At least you did get to see some art. It's too bad that so many people are more into being seen at an event than being present. But I suspect that's always been the way. We just didn't have the cell phones for proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm imagining people with polaroids trying to get the best shot of the glass. :)

      Delete
  2. The gallery you took photographs in sounds right up my alley. I suspect I would have been awed, sad and angry. Simulataneously.
    How I loathe the ubiquitous selfie craze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is was very cool. One reason to visit Portland again is that gallery, to be sure!

      Delete
  3. It is a curiosity, folks living their experience through their cell phone, for later review. But my father did the same with his camera, and made very small talk with other photographers there, and none with regular tourists. I wonder if it's all proportionate. If before people who recorded their experience on film, those with sketch pads. It may all be proportionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. --for later review or to show people what they did/where they were. I don't totally begrudge them. But I do get a bit sniffy when they are swarming all over the art. The second gallery was all about the human connection & connection to the pieces, fortunately.

      Delete
  4. I really hope we come to our senses before all of the animals are gone. Sharks are one of the animals I find fascinating and it's disturbing how they are being decimated. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really true. The art exhibit really brought it home.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part III

I want to preface this post by saying that I am not of the 'every body receives a gold star for participation' generation. I don'...