Monday, September 24, 2018

Domestic abuse at the hotel

While kicking about Portland, I stayed in a charming hotel just outside downtown. Things, unfortunately, got off to a rocky start. 

On the first night, I heard a horrendous-sounding, knock-down drag-out fight going on in the room above mine. Coat over PJs, I went down at approx.11pm to notify staff. I was calm and measured because I assumed I would be taken more seriously as a result. I used both the expressions 'domestic disturbance' and 'possible domestic violence' and gave my room number: 730. The woman at the front desk, possibly the only person on front desk duty at this time of night, her face a mask of ambiguity, said she'd 'call up' to ask them to be quiet. While that is a nice gesture, my having said that I heard both repeated loud thuds and crashing noises should have alerted her to, maybe, sending someone up to the room to check on a woman who was possibly being battered. To be fair, the front desk clerk may not have really gotten the gravity of the situation. Heck, who wants to believe that something potentially vile is happening to a woman? I didn't hardly want to believe it myself, but I had HEARD it and knew that something bad was going on in the room above mine. I also told the front desk clerk that it sounded as if hotel property were being damaged. Sort of cynically, I thought that that would get staff to act quickly and I sincerely believed that the room was being damaged.

Indeed, the front desk must have rung the room as the noise temporarily subsided. However, I found myself going back down at just after midnight when things started to really kick off again. This time, I firmly requested that someone go up to the room to check on the welfare of the woman straight away. 'Someone needs to go up there now. This is serious.' The same staff member I had spoken with previously then turned to a man who appeared to work for hotel maintainance and said something like: Do you remember that couple in 830 who were fighting down here around 10.30pm and we had to tell them to stop...? 

I then chimed in with: They've been fighting on and off for over an hour. 

To his credit, the man made a beeline for the elevator and went straight up. Three warnings by hotel staff to keep down the noise level (although what they were engaged in was beyond just yelling) is really '3rd strike' territory. The brawling couple really should have been asked to leave. I would have also thought that the police could have been called, but in a domestic abuse situation having the cops show up probably only would have enraged the man more and the woman would have, ultimately, surely suffered more as a result. 

The couple were also in one of the poshest rooms at the hotel. I should know as I was in a similarly posh room just one floor down. -don't know if that would be why there seemed to be a reluctance on the part of the hotel to ask this couple to leave. Also, maybe they were to check out that very next (Tuesday) morning. Dunno. What I do know is that at 1am, after the couple had started up the cycle of abuse one more time, I went down to the front desk a third time to notify them of the ongoing disturbance and to finally ask to, please, change rooms. I suppose it took me so long to do so because a) I had never been privy to such an unfortunate situation before & b) I had never asked to change rooms in a hotel before. 

The request was granted and I moved to a smaller but much quieter room on a lower floor (sans view). I don't know what happened to the couple in 830, but I did think about what I had heard going on in their room that first night for the remainder of my stay. 

PS: I sent an email to the hotel outlining the above experience. My hope would be that they are inspired to review their policy on how to handle, for lack of a better expression, 'problem guests'.

12 comments:

  1. Aaaargh.
    I do hope that the woman was safe. And has options.
    Despite common myths domestic violence is not limited to the poor. At all. Better concealed by the well off quite often but still there.
    Could you have called the police if the hotel was reluctant to do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a very good point. Abuse knows no socio-economic bounds.

      You know, I suppose I could have phoned the cops. My brain felt a bit frozen during the whole process, to be honest. I had an initial fleeting thought of going up there myself, but decided against it, ultimately.

      I think I was naive in thinking that the hotel staff would act swiftly and definitively. Upon hearing that the fighting couple were already a known entity prior to my making an initial complaint sort of miffed me. I thought, what the eff are these employees doing?

      Anyway, I hope she's well and has a good support system around her.

      Delete
    2. Not surprised your brain froze. And you should/could have expected that the hotel staff knew what to do.

      Delete
    3. I sincerely hope that the hotel folk to whom I sent my email re: this unfortunate situation really take it to heart and review policy around these sorts of incidents.

      Delete
  2. What a horrible situation to be in - I hope she is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the day I spent upward of 40 weeks a year on the road, I did have this problem of disturbances in other rooms. I gave the disturbers one opportunity to behave, and then asked they be moved. If nothing worked, I would go to the desk in the morning and re-register my complaint (new shift and night shift often made no note) and say I had paid to SLEEP, which did not happen, and request the night's charge be removed. If I did not get adequate satisfaction, I would sent a letter to corporate, and request my next stay free. It was great satisfaction a year later to present my voucher to the same damn clerk who would not solve the problem a year ago. More often than couples, I was deprived by sleep by teen age parties that never should have been admitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Having to hear party-people up late at night would really bug me were I trying to sleep. I like how you handled yourself in those, sadly, too frequent situations!

      Delete
  4. Yikes. Some people just don't want to get involved. Perhaps management has been on them about overstepping boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once in a hotel near Paris when a similar argument started nearby. Luckily it soon stopped, and in the morning I found a man sleeping on the floor in the corridor.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...