Sunday, September 23, 2018

Recent trip to PDX

I took myself on a five-day trip to Portland, OR. at the beginning of the month. I walked like a fiend daily which is probably why I'm laid up with a bum foot now. Always wear appropriate walking shoes, kids! 

Anyway, the trip was lovely, if a bit too long. One can see all one needs to in about three days, to be honest. I took myself out and away from downtown, where I was staying, and was treated with views of some very lovely architecture. Most of the houses I saw were older, some were more 'Grand Designs' new. I was really taken with all of the lovely porches I saw associated with homes from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The first image below almost looked like a film set, somehow. I thought it fab. The second image was a WOWZA of a house that appeared to have been built within the past year. It stands in a neighborhood of older homes like the one above, but didn't totally stick out. I assume that that had to do with the color of the cladding. I really like both homes, but I think I might prefer to live in the house with the porch. Portland gets toasty-warm in the summer (and unlike here) the temperature stays warm well into the evening. I would love to be able to kick back on a comfy chair out on a front porch, iced-tea in hand, watching the sun go down. 





The crown jewel of the visit were my multiple trips to the Rose Garden. Officially named the International Rose Test Garden, this space came to being just over 100 years ago and boasts approximately 650 different rose varieties. I have never seen so many different kinds of roses all in one place in my whole life. I just loved being there. It felt as if I had taken a gazillion photos, but I'll only subject you to a few plus choice images. :)

This beauty is named Ketchup and Mustard--




Gorgeous bloom, no name found.






Another nameless charmer.

This one is called Hot Cocoa. The petals appear a bit more burnt-umber in person.



Some roses were absolutely bushy with petals and some were fairly sparse. The colors were astounding: deep purple, chartreuse, lavender, rainbow-sherbert, etc. The sizes were also varied. There were teensy-tiny flowers, BIG blossoms, and everything in between. If you ever find yourself in Portland during the summer, go to the Rose Garden. You will not be disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. The rose garden would have won my heart too. Thank you for sharing a smidgeon of the beauty. Porches/verandas are wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to get away. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gazillion and we only get four! Piker. They are beautiful, however....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I didn't want anyone to suffer from 'eye fatigue'.

      Delete
  4. Oh how beautiful. Must be the perfect climate for roses. Me, they all die from black spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they really seem to thrive up in Portland. Dahlias and fruit trees, too.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...