Friday, November 30, 2018

What's in a name?

When I was in grade school, there was a kid in my class called Tamany Brooks. In a sea of Michaels, Christophers and Davids, Tamany's name really stuck out. Tamany was a child of the times, he wore his hair in a sort of 'white kid afro', sported a sweater vest & corduroy slacks. Beyond the name, Tamany was a normal joe. I had never met a 'Tamany' before (nor have I since), but didn't think to ask him about it. Nobody, from what I can recall, teased him about his name either. 

In American history class some years later, our teacher briefly touched on the importance of an NYC political organization called Tammany Hall. Maybe Tamany's parents had been political? Maybe a great-great-grandfather had been a founding member of Tammany Hall? Whatever the case, the kid had an interesting name. 

In non-news news: I read on the interwebs today that some woman claimed her daughter had been openly mocked by an airport employee because of the child's name. Before reading further, I thought, Oh, how awful. And then I discovered what the girl's name is. Are you ready for it? It's Abcde. Yep, that's the first five letters of the alphabet. I first read it as 'Abode', then I really looked. Oh, well, I can sort of see why people might make a comment. Obviously, I would have done so out of ear range of the poorly named child. 

In certain countries, it's against the law to saddle your child with a ridiculous name. Here in the states, we can, apparently, give a child a snippet of the alphabet and call it a name and that's kosher. I think that's unfortunate.









16 comments:

  1. Weird - who on earth would give their child a name like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to college with a young woman called Pagan. Her surname was Moon.
    And don't get me started on some of the monickers that 'celebs' inflict on their children. Child abuse in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Pagan Moon. I hope she was cool.

      Delete
    2. She could have gone on Mastermind with the special subject of 'ordinary'. Which I thought was soooo unfair.

      Delete
  3. You do have to wonder about people and their reasoning behind such odd behaviour. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that could be long-term child cruelty, like a boy named 'Sue'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Johnny Cash would be singing about you.

      Delete
  5. Don't even get me started. I see the crazy names all the time. This is why I started "Student Name of the Week" on my sidebar. I keep the names I used in a page on the blog, too. You want crazy names? There's a list. And I've had all of them in class.

    (And so far today I've had Brent'ney, Mathayus, Vantaye, Jenesys, Kindry, and Janiya. And that's not even considering the weird spellings like Melodee and Amilya.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, these names are nuts! I will now search out your blog page re: names. I could use a laugh (sorry, kids!).

      Your students' names remind me that my friend's niece is called D'onna & it's pronounced 'Donna'. Why the need for the apostrophe there?!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, the apostrophe thing. Is there a pause or not?

      Twitter's gone nuts over this. They've bascially said, if you name your kid that, you deserve to have that name mocked.

      Delete
    3. No, I asked. There is no pause. Super trippy.

      Delete
  6. I wrote about my customer who changed her name to Saffron Two Cats. And someone commented, they know a Saffron Two Cats. Nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...