Thursday, December 20, 2018

Who knows The Who, take two

Not being able to drive my manual transmission yet--PT is getting me slowly back in fighting shape--I've taken to using Lyft car services combined with the odd bus and streetcar trip.

I got into a Lyft car yesterday and was treated to a track off The Who's Quadrophenia album. I told the driver that he needed 'surround sound' in order to really appreciate the music. He agreed & simply turned up the volume and we rocked out for the remainder of the of the song. As it turned out, he hadn't grown up knowing who The Who were. He told me that he the particular song we were listening to was featured on one of his favorite cop shows. Liking the track, he decided to look up the band & became a solid Who fan after that. I have been listening to The Who, it feels like, my whole life. This is true probably because I have older siblings who had a pretty decent record collection. And music seemed to be a staple in our household. I thought it fascinating that the Lyft driver either had not been exposed to or had not noticed The Who before a few years ago. I'm almost fifty and the guy, about seven years younger than me, had never heard of Pinball Wizard, Pete Townsend smashing his guitar on stage or drummer Keith Moon OD'ing.



Anyway, we're sliding fast toward Christmas with not much planned. We've put an offer on a house. This will be our third offer. We've sort of been averaging one offer a week. The others were outbid. I imagine we'll be outbid again. Alas, no new digs for Christmas. :)

14 comments:

  1. My father was (is?) a Who fan. We had the albums all around while growing up. I guess I had a sort of privileged upbringing with all the rock we had in our house.

    Good luck with your bid. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Your dad sounds super cool. My dad was a fan of Perry Como. The sibs had good taste in music, fortunately. I got turned on to Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, etc. at a young age.

      Thanks for sending over a bit of good luck. Seems like we'll need it. :D

      Delete
  2. I am a little older than you, and also have older brothers. And I grew up with the Who (among others). Love them. And was really impressed with the movie Tommy too. Didn't Tina Turner rock 'The Acid Queen'.
    Good luck on the house front. It will happen. And hpefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the dose of luck. :)

      Also: I was huge fan of AC/DC when I was a teen. I just love electric guitar.

      Delete
  3. I'm more of a Tupac kinda guy than The Who. Oops sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, for a time, local to this area. I remember all the mostly amazing Tupac graffiti that sprang up after he died.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Three offers outbid, one more to go (before Xmas). :)

      Delete
  5. Then he must never have heard of Mods and Rockers. Mods had scooters and Rockers had proper motorcycles. Rockers dressed like Hells Angels and Mods in slick suites with haircuts to match. The Who were a Mod band. Every Summer, they met up on the seafront at Brighton (South Coast holiday town) and fought running battles with each other. I was in the middle of one as a teenager. They were very violent in a mindless sort of way. I liked the dress sense of Mods, but rode a Triumph motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mods did have a keen sense of style. I hadn't realized the sort of 'Sharks and Jets' nature of the relationship between the Mods and the Rockers.

      Delete
  6. I hope you get a nice "accepted offer" as a Christmas present this year. My favorite Who song is "Baba O'Riley." Take care, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. Roger Daltry wrote a memoir. It's out now and I'm keen to read it. Happy Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...