Saturday, December 22, 2018

Cafe, crossword and Christmas

I took myself out to a cafe today and brought along the New York Times crossword from Monday with me. Mondays tend to be the least challenging to complete. This also means that the Monday crossword I can just about manage. The crossword geniuses could probably finish this one in about three minutes. By contrast, it took me about twenty minutes to finish. You'll also note I used a pencil. I'm not complaining and shall give myself a gold star for my effort. :)


The cafe was packed out at midday, so I assume many people are already on their Christmas break. 
Two, well-dressed white dudes were sat next to me talking about how much money they lost in stocks today. They were also talking about how 'hot' the real estate market still seems to be. (Both were homeowners.) I would tend to agree. We've been competing with folk who present all-cash offers. Can you imagine having a spare million dollars lying around for just such an occasion? It's nuts. 

When did Love Actually become a holiday favorite to watch? It's not that great of a flick, to be honest. I liked individual performances, but, overall, the film is just a tad too saccharin for me. And the dude in love with his best mate's girl is kinda creepy. Showing up at their flat with a stack of placards a la INXS just seems like stalker behavior to me. Best moment of Love Actually is when Emma Thompson's character takes a minute to collect herself after opening the Joni Mitchell CD. Brilliant. 

I grew up watching Hal Roach's It's A Wonderful Life & The Wizard of Oz during the holiday season. I don't know why The Wizard of Oz was shown during Christmas, but it was. 

Besides Love Actually, I wonder what other films have since become holiday staples? I'd imagine the Will Ferrell film Elf could be considered a modern holiday classic. From what I remember, it was very well done. 

Another show I remember seeing on TV every year was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It was some sort of stop-animation affair. The figurines looked to be made out of felt and wood. Burl Ives, the snowman-narrator, was always a treat to see and hear. Also: Rudolph's nose squeaked like a badly played note on a piccolo. 


Our pal, Rudolph, and, I think, his love-interest. 

Happy Christmas!


7 comments:

  1. You definitely deserve a star. I don't do crosswords. Epic fail.
    Our real estate has hit its heights and seems to be falling. Which hurts some people badly, and will give other people a chance to finally own a home.
    I don't do movies so Christmas movies are beyond me.
    I hope your Christmas is wonderful. And that the cashed up bogans are recovering from a Christmas party when next you find a house you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D thanks, EC. It's just occured to me that we both don't ever have a 'white Christmas' on our respective home-turfs.

      Happy Christmas to you and yours. x

      Delete
    2. No white Christmas, but plenty of cards and decorations which suggest we do.

      Delete
  2. Movies weren’t on the agenda for the holidays but for when life was less interesting at other times. Have seen some of the classics but at other times mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love black and white films. Miracle on 34th St. is another one that always seemed to be on during the holidays. That movie stil holds up. Superb acting. Great story.

      Delete
  3. I'm still not a fan of Love Actually. I've seen it once, I think. I like the one where they swap houses more. Can't recall the name.

    I keep hearing a debate about Die Hard. Some say it is a Christmas movie. I can get behind that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's gotta be more than just two of us! That film doesn't cut the mustard. The house swap one was super cute. Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black...who was the other swapper?

      I didn't know that Die Hard was considered a Xmas flick.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part II

One of the pluses of working as a letter carrier, we were told more than once during classroom training, was that one would 'lose weight...