Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Progress and Uncle Kenny

Since my foot went on the fritz back in Sept. of last year, I've had a heck of a time getting back on my feet, literally.

Some positive things of late:

I can again stand while riding public transportation (much to the delight of aggressive, older Chinese women who regarded me as bogarting their preferred seats by the door). No cane=no handicap

I can again cross the street within the alloted time thus not incurring the wrath of motorists who are in a GODDAMN hurry & would peel out in frustration around me. No crutches=no reason to be walking slowly

I can again perform housework for longer stretches of time & the joint is back to looking less like a dump and more like a home.

A road not yet taken would be the one concerning physical fitness:

I can't yet jog, rollerskate or bike ride. I'm semi-seriously considering taking up swimming. If that is to work, then I will need to learn more than the dog paddle.

In other news:

My super sleuthing bio cousin has somehow found pictures of the presumed half-sister of my mother. Her name is Margaret and, according to my cousin, was adopted at birth by a wealthy San Francisco family in 1947. Records indicate she's still alive.

On the left: Meryl, my biological grandmother, who, in 1946, gave my Mom to a family friend to be raised as her own.

On the right: The woman called Margaret whom my bio cousin believes to be the third daughter Meryl gave up for formal adoption in secret. Margaret and Meryl favor each other, I think.

 

Below is a comparison of Margaret (left) and of my Mother (right). Both photos are contemporary. I see less of a similarity between them in these current photos than in the earlier pictures.



I met Meryl when I was a brash 19-year-old in 1989. I knew the family story and it yielded very little information, so I wanted answers. Why I thought I was entitled to any was beyond me. I also regret now that I didn't have any tact when speaking with her. I only knew--what we all knew--that she had had two boys she kept and two girls she gave away. The fathers of the girls were not known. That story, 30 years later, has changed. We now know who my mother's biological father is. We also now know that Meryl gave up three daughters between the years of 1943 and 1947. I wish that I had had more sympathy for her when I met her. Instead I felt anger toward her for having put my Mother into fosterage. It matters not that Mom was ultimately adopted by her foster parents at the age of 8, I believe. And she was the only foster child to have been adopted, I might add. That fact does not and did not make her feel special. The woman who raised Mom was a foster parent for 30 years. She loved babies--the more, the merrier. During my mother's childhood she saw a lot of children come through the house. Her take-away was to not get too attached to the newcomers for they would ultimately leave. Well, all but my Uncle Kenny left grandma's home. He was kept, but never adopted.

I don't know why I'm feeling so confessional today. Maybe it's the (peri)menopause. Anyway, below is a picture of my Uncle Kenny. He was born nine years after Mom. Kenny came to live with Grandma and family when he was barely 1 year old. His Mother, a single parent hailing from Hawaii, had put Ken into fosterage while she was finding her financial footing here in San Francisco. She was to retrieve him when she could & visited the house often. As Mom tells it, a teenaged Kenny had his suitcase packed and was waiting for Nell to come and get him, but she neither came nor sent word. About a week later, a stranger claiming to be Ken's Uncle came to the house, bluntly told Ken that his Mother had stepped into the road and been struck by a Muni bus and killed. The Uncle was to take Ken to live with him in San Jose, a city some 50 miles south of San Francisco. Ken, having never met this man before, did not want to go. Grandma also did not want to Ken to leave. A deal was made. Ken could remain in my Grandparents' care, but he could not be adopted. So Ken stayed yet retained his surname of Nakamura. This fact would present a problem for Mom when Ken died five years ago in a motorcycle accident. She was 'next of kin', but not legally. Ken's remains were property of the state of California while Mom sorted out how to prove their relation in order to retrieve them. I was still in Zurich during this time, unfortunately, and could not be of any help to her. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for Mom. She and Ken were the only two foster kids that had been kept. That kind of bond is one that I can never understand. Mom's loss was tremendous.

Uncle Kenny, 1953-2014


16 comments:

  1. That's a sad story. And this is a good reminder to get paperwork for these sorts of things in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It must have been quite traumatic for my mom. Getting access to his bank acct. and whatever else was a pain in the rump as well.

      Delete
  2. You could try aquacise, if it's offered in your area. Safe and low impact, yet no swimming is required. If it's shallow end aquacise, you're only in waist-deep water and if it's deep end aquacise, you wear a flotation device so you bob about like a cork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. Thanks for the rec, Debra. It may be offered. I shall nose around and find out!

      Delete
  3. I have a 50 year-old friend who has only just met his father. Thankfully they get on well. I cannot imagine having to dig like you are to discover relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice for your friend. It's really down to the efforts of my bio cousin. She's very keen to find out all this information.

      Delete
  4. Glad things are improving.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding family connections can be very interesting and sounds like you are certainly discovering that. So much was kept secret for so many generations, I think it’s probably healthier that truth is known — whatever that truth might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I also think about women like Meryl who were born into a world where choice was limited. She did the best that she could.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you are getting closer and closer to full strength. Good luck with the swimming if that is the route you take. And thanks for sharing more about your family tree. I enjoyed reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome & thank you for reading. As a non-writer who attempts to write, I find that the more personal the subject matter, the more difficult it is to get out in a coherent manner.

      Delete
  7. Dear Bea, years ago--maybe 30--I was having lots of trouble with my back and my knees and did water therapy at Courage Center in Stillwater, MN. It truly helped. I didn't swim because I didn't know how. But I got in the water and used floats and paddled with my legs, keeping my back in alignment. Within a few weeks, I was so much better. So I encourage you to consider using swimming or water therapy to go the final mile with your recuperation.

    Thank you for sharing the poignant background of your family. I don't think I ever truly appreciated just how hard the first 50 or 60 years of the 20th century were for so many people. I do know that the Depression greatly affected my parents and that generation. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dee,

      Thank you for the positive information regarding water therapy. I appreciate it.

      Yes, I can never understand what went through the minds of the adults back then. Given how drastically the concept of fosterage has changed, I have a hard time understanding how so many parents were able to place their children in care for years on end before retrieving them again.

      Meryl was born around 1910. She'd attended a college prepatory high school here in town. But that seemingly meant little as she'd then gone on to work blue-collar jobs while having children, losing and gaining husbands. Again, I wish I had had the ability to understand her limitations when meeting her in 1989. Incidentally, she died not long after, so there was never a chance to have a second, perhaps, more productive conversation with her.

      x

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, that is some complicated ancestry. I expect t’s kind of illuminating to get to the root (!) of it all.

    Hope your foot recovers soon. Try and move as much as you can because not doing so might leave with referred troubles. My back is certainly doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is illuminating. My mother, upon finding out about the fifth child of Meryl, experienced feelings of grief for about a day & that was it.

    I, too, hope the foot recovers soon! I walked a bit too much last week & that has set me back a bit. I am trying to not feel too glum about the slow progress.

    May you be feeling ever better as well!

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Postal Service, part I

How many straws does one have to grab before getting to the last one? I was recently trained, and I use that word lightly, to become a posta...