Thursday, June 6, 2019

Too good to be true?

SF Women's Building


I have been meditating solidly for the past two months. I find the exercise calming. Clearing the mind is the goal. Thoughts, good or bad, are meant to be disregarded. One is meant to focus on the breath. Sometimes I count '1, 2' over and over in my head as I inhale and exhale to help keep me on track. Thoughts or feelings that enter the mind are noted with 'pleasant', 'unpleasant' or 'neutral' and set aside.  
There was a flyer posted at my local coffee shop for a gratis group-meditation being offered at the Women's Building. I decided to check it out last night. 
I walked into the room of waiting people and said, 'hello'. Most people looked up, but no one responded. Had the meditation already begun? One woman was wrapped almost entirely in a thick, brown blanket. Another person seemed to be asleep. There was a note written on the white board: meditation 7.30-9.30. Were we going to meditate for a solid two hours? I have only done 15 minute meditations and didn't think I could do much more. 
The facilitator, a man who called himself 'Jafa', sat perched in front of a laptop near the white board. I approached him to ask about the structure of the evening. He told me that there would be some discussion couched around two 15-minute meditations.  
'Discussion' actually meant that he would be talking most of the evening about the chakras and karma and past lives and I understood very little of what he was saying. He spoke for nearly thirty minutes before launching into the first meditation. He said that we would meditate to music. There would be three songs representing the three chakras we would be focusing on: One near the bellybutton, one at the sternum, and one just above where the eyebrows meet. He talked about what each chakra stood for, but I can't remember any of what he said now. He pressed play on his laptop and lively, slightly raucous music came out of an adjacent portable speaker. It was at that point that we were meant to close our eyes and go for it. No deep breathing, no getting comfortable...nada.   
The music was too loud. It didn't help that I was sat very near the speaker. The synth bits of the first tune felt penetrating. My palms almost started to sweat and I thought: Fuck, I'm having a stress response--the exact opposite of why I came! My solution was to open my eyes, stare mostly at the floor and just focus on the breath--1,2,1,2. I did look around a bit as well. People seemed seemed to be into it, but I don't know. Our man at the front had his head back slightly as if he were communing with someone or something high above. He held his left had up at chest level and his right hand near his crotch between his legs. 

Talk that followed seemed to be geared toward how one can use meditation in order to become a more effective white-collar worker. 'Don't take on your co-workers' energy. Try to remain detached.' And: 'Ask your boss for what you want. Don't worry about the outcome.'  One participant raised her hand to say that she needed to leave by 9.00p. I took that as  an opportunity and left shortly thereafter. 

19 comments:

  1. Well, good thing it was free. At least you're not out any money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that wasn't helpful.

    Sounds like he was on the orange chakra (creativity), green (heart--feeling, healing), and indigo (third eye--psychic, higher "sight"). Which is neither here nor there. I've done guided meditations, and they can be good when the leader is calm and mellow. I hope you can find a better meditation somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was funny because he was very soft-spoken, so I wrongly assumed that the musical accompaniment would have been a gentle cascade of pan flutes, or something. NOPE.

      Delete
  3. Sigh. Definitely not meditation as I know it (and even more definitely not something I would pay for).
    My monkey mind finds meditating with music distracting. It never forms a background for me.
    Yay for an escape -and I suspect you lasted longer than I could have. Willingly anyway. Politeness has kept me in some dreadful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politeness has kept my glued to my seat in the past, but with the CRPS I have been able to get up and go when needed! :D

      Delete
  4. That does not sound calming at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently meditation comes in many guises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounded like a comedy sketch I saw recently about a non-relaxing meditation session. Judging by your experience, although it seems that the sketch was evidently inspired by Real Life and must be common, it was hardly an amusing evening for you! Lucky it was free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been a comedy sketch as it was such a kooky evening. Life imitating art and vice-versa. Yes, good that it was gratis.

      Delete
  7. I would have turned around and walked straight out, but then I am rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually what am I talking about? I would never have gone in. The facade of that building is a bit of a give-away.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't been to the Women's Building in nearly 30 years and had fond memories of the place. I was lured by the 'free' bit on the flyer. You get what you pay for, eh?

      Delete
  8. I would have bailed as well. Sounds like a really unpleasant experience and not even remotely what you wanted. There's a free app called the Mindfulness Coach that is pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That doesn’t sound like a very useful session at all. Meditation to birdsong maybe or some quiet peaceful sounds. Perhaps he was just one of those chaps who like the sound of their voice?

    Apropos your previous post and the Donald: many people protested against his visit and the older Royals never show any emotion at all apart from smiling meaningless smiles. The Donald was simply a guest who had to be treated politely but God knows what they thought internally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely was not. He said he was a monk. Maybe he's some sort of narcissist monk? Dunno.

      I wish I could have attended one of the numerous protests. I still get a chuckle out of seeing the Trump balloon. -seems a fitting likeness.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...